Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I was wanting some opinions about which canti setup has the best stopping power. I'm trying to decide if I can get rid of my road bike and use my cx bike for both. Not sure if I'd feel comfortable on it for crits, but I'm thinking about using it for road racing and just general group rides - as well as the cx racing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Brent

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
masongsp said:
Hey Gang,
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I was wanting some opinions about which canti setup has the best stopping power. I'm trying to decide if I can get rid of my road bike and use my cx bike for both. Not sure if I'd feel comfortable on it for crits, but I'm thinking about using it for road racing and just general group rides - as well as the cx racing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Brent
Use the search feature, it has been discussed literally a hundred times before.

Pauls are the best, but are not cheap. Neo retro in the front, touring in the rear.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Overpriced...

Avid Shorty 6 work perfectly, are cost effective, have replaceable pad inserts and stop on a dime.

·
Registered
462 Posts
For sheer stopping force check out Shimano's canti set up you can pick up a set pretty cheap on Ebay. I recommend the Shimano's if you don't plan on playing in the mud with them. If your bike may be seeing some mud then hands down I would go with Pauls Neo's I run them front and back. I have tried 2 sets of Avids the 4's and the 6's and I was not impressed even with different pads. I have a set of Spooky's also and they are decent but they are more of a bling bling factor. Plus in CX who wants to stop on a dime you just want to slow down a bit...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
travis200 said:
For sheer stopping force check out Shimano's canti set up you can pick up a set pretty cheap on Ebay. I recommend the Shimano's if you don't plan on playing in the mud with them. If your bike may be seeing some mud then hands down I would go with Pauls Neo's I run them front and back. I have tried 2 sets of Avids the 4's and the 6's and I was not impressed even with different pads. I have a set of Spooky's also and they are decent but they are more of a bling bling factor. Plus in CX who wants to stop on a dime you just want to slow down a bit...
I should have mentioned I'm running the Avid 4's right now. You don't think I'd be happy putting on some salmon kool stops? $30 seems alot easier to swallow than $150 right now! :eek:

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
You can get decent enough stopping power with those avids, maybe the new pads will help a bit, also. I ride my cross bike in crits from time to time, it does OK if you change the gearing, it handles like a bit of a bread truck with the high center of gravity but you can still get around just fine. Obviously, you have to swap out the large chain ring and fiddle with the front derailer (for about a freaking hour) and you are all set.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
masongsp said:
I should have mentioned I'm running the Avid 4's right now. You don't think I'd be happy putting on some salmon kool stops? $30 seems alot easier to swallow than $150 right now! :eek:
As has been stated, the Avids have lousy mud clearance. If that's going to be an issue for you down the road, might as well make the switch. OTOH, you should be able to make the Avids work pretty well. Check Sheldon Brown for canti setup and get some Kool Stop pads (they prolly won't be night/day difference though). You can get those funky straddles in different lengths so you can fiddle with that too.

I had some of the Avid Ti's and ditched them after my first mud fest.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I ditched my Avids

when I couldn't get them to consistently shut the F up.

Sqwaaaaaaawwwnnnkkkkkkkkkk!

·
Registered
70 Posts
second that.....

atpjunkie said:
when I couldn't get them to consistently shut the F up.

Sqwaaaaaaawwwnnnkkkkkkkkkk!

man my front avid 4 sqweels soooo freeeeeking L O U D ! Rear is OK though.

i think its time to do something about it.......

rash

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Check Sheldon Brown for canti setup and get some Kool Stop pads (they prolly won't be night/day difference though)."

Ok - so if Avid 4's w/Kool Stops won't be night and day from what I have today, can you classify Shimano's or Paul's with Kool Stops vs. Avid's w/Kool Stops? Would that be a pretty significant improvement? I know - this is getting pretty hard to quantify, but just thought I'd try to get a feel......

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
masongsp said:
Ok - so if Avid 4's w/Kool Stops won't be night and day from what I have today, can you classify Shimano's or Paul's with Kool Stops vs. Avid's w/Kool Stops? Would that be a pretty significant improvement? I know - this is getting pretty hard to quantify, but just thought I'd try to get a feel......
What you are buying with the Pauls are:

1) Excellent mud clearance -- important if you race/ride in the mud, and

2) Excellent adjustability.

The adjustability means you should be able to dial them in to stop on a dime. I have a couple sets of Avid Tri-Aligns (90's vintage) that are as adjustable as the Pauls (not as easy to adjust and don't take cartridge pads). I get excellent stopping power -- as good as my Avid Ti's and almost as good as road calipers. When I race, I usually set them up for mud clearance and sacrifice a little stopping power.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
After loving the weight and stopping power of Paul Neo Retros on my CX bike, I put them on a 29er MTB. That bike is probably 10 lbs.heavier and sees much steeper descents over faster, longer and gnarlier terrain. I think they are on par with XT V's (which are on another MTB I ride regularly on the same trails) and more than adequate for XC riding conditions.

I have also found Avid brakes to be stubbornly ear-splitting, whereas once I toe in a set of Paul's I never hear a peep even in wet conditions.

Well worth the money, IMO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts