Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· wut?
14,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have some no-name dual pivot brakes with new Ultegra pads and there's no adjustment for toe. The right pad is toed way in (to the point that only the front 1/2 of the pad touches the rim right now).

They are new pads. What's the best option?

1) Just let the pad wear until they meet more flush against the rim.
2) File the pad to make them meet correctly against the rim.
3) Bend the caliper arm with a wrench.
4) Other.

Regarding bending the caliper... Is this going to screw up my caliper? Would metal fatigue be an issue if I were just bending it a few milimeters?

· Registered
838 Posts
I was in exactly the same sitution a month ago. When I visited my LBS, they told me that the solution is to bend the brake arm. They even showed me their special tool for doing just that. I did try to bend them at home, but wasn't able to completely correct the problem (I was afraid to use too much force). So I moved on to just waiting for the pads to wear a bit (which hasn't happened yet). I've had no problems--the brakes still stop the bike just fine.

· wut?
14,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John Nelson said:
I was in exactly the same sitution a month ago. When I visited my LBS, they told me that the solution is to bend the brake arm. They even showed me their special tool for doing just that. I did try to bend them at home, but wasn't able to completely correct the problem (I was afraid to use too much force). So I moved on to just waiting for the pads to wear a bit (which hasn't happened yet). I've had no problems--the brakes still stop the bike just fine.
What was the "special tool"? A wrench?

· uhhhh, what?
222 Posts
actually, park tool makes (or at least made, i've had mine for a loooong time) a dedicated brake caliper toe in tool, the BT3. it fits the classic 70's and 80's sidepulls such as campagnolo nuovo/super record and modolo masterpro like a dream. it's slot is a tad bit too narrow for the classic centerpulls like mafac, and modern sidepulls like dura-ace. that, of course, is where the approved alternate tool comes in, the ubiquitous crescent wrench.

· wut?
14,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
supercorsa said:
actually, park tool makes (or at least made, i've had mine for a loooong time) a dedicated brake caliper toe in tool, the BT3. it fits the classic 70's and 80's sidepulls such as campagnolo nuovo/super record and modolo masterpro like a dream. it's slot is a tad bit too narrow for the classic centerpulls like mafac, and modern sidepulls like dura-ace. that, of course, is where the approved alternate tool comes in, the ubiquitous crescent wrench.
Oh yeah, they do make a tool for that. It's $15. I'll use a wrench, thank you.

· Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Don't bend it. Get the Kool Stops. I've bent thousands of brake arms about a hundred years ago when I worked in shops. A couple of years ago, I tried to bend an old Campy record brake arm just a hair, and promptly snapped it in half.

· wut?
14,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jplatzner said:
Don't bend it. Get the Kool Stops. I've bent thousands of brake arms about a hundred years ago when I worked in shops. A couple of years ago, I tried to bend an old Campy record brake arm just a hair, and promptly snapped it in half.
I tried bending it a little, but didn't want to force it. I'll just use the brakes the way they are. Stopping power is fine and the brakes are completely silent. And I'm too broke for Kool Stops.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.