Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so this year i want to buy a nice set of euro style brakes. i currently have shorty 6's.i really want the trp eurox in white, but i dont know if they'll be out soon enough, or available to the general public. i am considering pauls, maybe frogslegs, maybe spookys, maybe 4za, and the new tektro ones, basically anything on cyclocrossworld. i think i like pauls the best. any input?

i am also getting a set of older, and super light, WCS hubs laced with triple butted dt spokes to reflexs. what would be a good all around tubie? also, i only weigh 130 lbs so i think the wheels are plenty strong.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
if you have the $$$

get the pauls
I run Spooky's and Froggleggs and am happy with both but wouldn't mind a touring/ neo-retro combo

for tubies, if your courses aren't super nasty Challenge Grifos. As good as they get until you go Dugast or FMB

·
Registered
336 Posts
Those wheels are killer!

Brakes...I run the touring/neo retro combo and couldn't be happier. I was actually shocked at how easy they were to set up and adjust. From what I have read that is not the case with the other brakes you listed. Paul makes a super high quality product that is totally under rated - ATMO -. If Sven or Bart rode Pauls for a season you would never see any other bake on the circuit.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Another vote for Pauls

I've been running them for the last four years without any complaints. They set up easy, stay in adjustment, and Paul himself is a great guy. Plus, channel lock pliers aren't in my tool kit. (for bending the brake pad of the TRP/Frogglegg style brakes). I run the Neos front and rear because I like the feel better than the Tourings. I do have to watch my calf a bit closer than if a low profile brake was there, though.

·
You call that running?
262 Posts
surfamtn said:
Those wheels are killer!

Brakes...I run the touring/neo retro combo and couldn't be happier. I was actually shocked at how easy they were to set up and adjust. From what I have read that is not the case with the other brakes you listed. Paul makes a super high quality product that is totally under rated - ATMO -. If Sven or Bart rode Pauls for a season you would never see any other bake on the circuit.
Under rated, that's a laugh! At the first mention of brakes ten people will jump up and down to sing their praises here. You're right they don't pay any Belgians to ride their brakes, but I don't think you're on to any hot secret. I'm sure Sven and Bart are plenty happy with their Spookys. Remember Spookys weigh less and Sven and Bart don't have to bend the posts to toe them in. They have mechanics for that.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The Sundance Kid said:
Under rated, that's a laugh! At the first mention of brakes ten people will jump up and down to sing their praises here. You're right they don't pay any Belgians to ride their brakes, but I don't think you're on to any hot secret. I'm sure Sven and Bart are plenty happy with their Spookys. Remember Spookys weigh less and Sven and Bart don't have to bend the posts to toe them in. They have mechanics for that.

All true and good points. I guess by under rated I was thinking of marketing and media coverage, here in this forum they do get plenty of support.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Didn't want to start a new thread and this one seemed appropriate....

I recently purchased a complete CX bike with Avid Shorty 4's. Their stopping power was fine when they were setup well. But the pads are so close to the rim and there is a serious lack of cable that disconnecting the brakes from the rim is impossible without playing mechanic. And my mechanic role is played poorly. (Luckily, I have a friend who is competent) My question is: How do I solve the problem of making it easy to disconnect my brakes for flats/travel but still keep safe braking power?

I have a pair of Avid Ultimate V-brakes from my now retired MTB. Would it be nuts to throw these on? Or, I'm more than willing to purchase a pair of Pauls or a more respectable canti brake. Ultimately though, I'm sure the Shorty 4s are good enough and simply need to be setup properly. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
337 Posts
BetterThanAliens said:
Didn't want to start a new thread and this one seemed appropriate....

I recently purchased a complete CX bike with Avid Shorty 4's. Their stopping power was fine when they were setup well. But the pads are so close to the rim and there is a serious lack of cable that disconnecting the brakes from the rim is impossible without playing mechanic. And my mechanic role is played poorly. (Luckily, I have a friend who is competent) My question is: How do I solve the problem of making it easy to disconnect my brakes for flats/travel but still keep safe braking power?

I have a pair of Avid Ultimate V-brakes from my now retired MTB. Would it be nuts to throw these on? Or, I'm more than willing to purchase a pair of Pauls or a more respectable canti brake. Ultimately though, I'm sure the Shorty 4s are good enough and simply need to be setup properly. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

Your Shorty 4's can work just fine. When setting up cantis, one has to find the right balance between mechanical advantage (power) and "feel". Since yours are so close to the rim, I would suggest moving the straddle cable down a touch. You will gain the clearance to remove your straddle cable for a wheel change, and though the brakes will feel a bit spongier, you are actually gaining stopping power. Ideally set up, they should lock up the wheel just before the lever hits the bar. Read Sheldon's excellent explanation to know why you're doing what you're doing.

Your V-brakes won't work with normal road levers (including STI's) without a device that augments cable pull. Search v-brake on this forum for several discussions about this.

Finally, to all who are looking for a decent wide profile canti brake, I wholeheartedly recommend the Tektro CR720. Wide profile, good springs,easy to adjust threaded posts, insert type pads so you can easily replace the crappy stock pads with Kool-Stop V-brake inserts. And all for something in the range of $30-35/wheel, with new pads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.