Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a fixie on Friday, I know for a fact that it doesn't currently have brakes. I would like to have at least one brake on this bike as I will be riding it around campus and people/cars jump out from nowhere and I'd rather not hit them. Does anyone have suggestions for brakes and levers that are reasonably cheap (I'd like to spend less than $60 total)? I'd rather have a brake lever that's somewhat low profile and can be operated in the drops (I'm there most of the time, more control you know). Thanks for the suggestions.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
First you have to have the bike.

tubafreak said:
I'm getting a fixie on Friday, I know for a fact that it doesn't currently have brakes. I would like to have at least one brake on this bike as I will be riding it around campus and people/cars jump out from nowhere and I'd rather not hit them. Does anyone have suggestions for brakes and levers that are reasonably cheap (I'd like to spend less than $60 total)? I'd rather have a brake lever that's somewhat low profile and can be operated in the drops (I'm there most of the time, more control you know). Thanks for the suggestions.
Brakes come in different lenghts. Some track bikes will not accept a brake at all.
Most modern bikes use a "short reach" brake which is readily available in low cost models. Some modern bikes use a "standard reach" brake that is a bit longer and a bit less available but can still be had for not all that much. Some track bikes will not accept a brake at all.

Older bikes had all sorts of brake lengths and styles that limit you to an e-bay search.

IMHO your best bet is to take the thing into a bike shop and buy from them if they have what you need.

· Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured as much. I'm not sure about the wheel/tire width, that would probably be the deciding factor. It's a 27". I was looking at Harris cyclery's site and they've got some BMX brakes that looked like they might work. $20 for the caliper, all related components, and a lever. If they'll fit I'll go with those, seems like the most economical way to go.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
tubafreak said:
I figured as much. I'm not sure about the wheel/tire width, that would probably be the deciding factor.
The deciding factor IS the distance from the brake mounting hole in the center of the fork crown and the rim. THAT IS IT, tire size does not enter into it unless you are buying a new custom frame. Once you have a brake that fits the clearance around the brake becomes the limiting factor in tire width selection.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.