Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while ago my wife and I were in San Francisco for a few days. I was amazed and encouraged by the number of bicycle commuters that I saw. One thing that amazed me was that I saw quite a few single speed bikes with freewheel hubs that appeared to have no brakes on them. Is this a common thing? If so, how do people stop/slow down on those big SF hills? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Likely they were "Fixed Gear".

bobg said:
A while ago my wife and I were in San Francisco for a few days. I was amazed and encouraged by the number of bicycle commuters that I saw. One thing that amazed me was that I saw quite a few single speed bikes with freewheel hubs that appeared to have no brakes on them. Is this a common thing? If so, how do people stop/slow down on those big SF hills? Thanks.
1) They were track bikes with the crank locked to the rear hub as there is no freewheel.

2) Or they were coaster brake bicycles where back pedaling engages the rear hub brake.

3) Or they were flat out nuts (not out of the question in San Francisco).:eek:

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
There's a famous messenger by the name of Ted Shred that apparently rocks just such a set up in SF, there are photos somewhere of him using his foot to slow at the CMWC.

I wouldn't think anyone else in their right mind would do such a thing though...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.