Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Relative noobie here, currently have full ultegra 6700 gruppo on my bike. Been wanting to upgrade the brakes to Dura Ace BR 9000 (been doing lots of climbing/descending; want more powerful braking).

Can anyone tell me is it just a simple swapping out of the parts or do i need to replace other parts as well like the cables, etc for the Dura Ace calipers to work.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
You can just do a simple swap and use your current cable/housing.

Just a question? Your 6700 series brakes aren't good enough? I don't think I've ever heard that one, even when doing insane 60+ MPH mountain descents.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
Relative noobie here, currently have full ultegra 6700 gruppo on my bike. Been wanting to upgrade the brakes to Dura Ace BR 9000 (been doing lots of climbing/descending; want more powerful braking).

Can anyone tell me is it just a simple swapping out of the parts or do i need to replace other parts as well like the cables, etc for the Dura Ace calipers to work.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Changing from Ultagra to Dura Ace wont do squat, nothing, nada. You need to look somewhere else for your braking concerns. It is certainly not in the calipers.
Try different pads. Kool stops work fine.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Changing from Ultagra to Dura Ace wont do squat, nothing, nada. You need to look somewhere else for your braking concerns. It is certainly not in the calipers.
Try different pads. Kool stops work fine.
Shimano claims the new caliper design of 9000 provides for a 10% increase in braking power but I still think it won't feel significant enough to make much of a functional difference for the OP.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Shimano claims the new caliper design of 9000 provides for a 10% increase in braking power but I still think it won't feel significant enough to make much of a functional difference for the OP.
Has any cycling company ever released a new product without saying it provides xx% more of a good quality?

Anyway OP, My guess is that you, being a noobie like you say, just need to adjust your expectations on braking a bicycle and possibly work on when to carry speed and when not.
You have really good brakes and the pads are better than average as well. Make sure they are set up correctly (so the pads meet flush with the brake track and centeredd) and both the pads and rims are clean. If that doesn't do enough for you you'll probably have to just get used to it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
During the warm months, you have to be careful not to ride your brakes too much, because once you've got a rim overheated, braking will suffer drastically. You've also got to make sure to use your front brake, because the rear brake does very little. I've got ultegra brakes and have done a nose wheelie at high speed, in order not to hit a deer. Just make sure you use your brakes when necessary, then get off of them to let the rims cool off. I'd bet you won't be able to tell a difference between DA & Ultegra. Work on your braking skills and you should be very happy with Ultegra.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Using compressionless brake housings can make a notable difference by making brake lever travel less spongy. There are two that I'm aware of, Yokozuna and Jagwire Racer or Pro. These housing have longitudinal wires like shifter cables instead of spiral wrapped wires. I have used the Yokozuna and they do make a big difference. I plan on trying the Jagwire next time I recable.

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
My bike had 1999 Ultegra, now Planet-X brakes. Our rental fleet has new Ultegra brakes. I think the new Ultegras feel too strong and grabby. Care must be given to avoid lock-up. Since tire grip is so limited on the road I want kinda weak brakes that must be firmly squeezed to lock the tire. Perhaps the current push for discs with superior modulation is because calipers went from having nice modulation to too much power and grabbiness.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Using compressionless brake housings can make a notable difference by making brake lever travel less spongy. There are two that I'm aware of, Yokozuna and Jagwire Racer or Pro. These housing have longitudinal wires like shifter cables instead of spiral wrapped wires. I have used the Yokozuna and they do make a big difference. I plan on trying the Jagwire next time I recable.
Yokozuna, and Kool-Stop salmon pads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I started with Ultegra 6700. Upgraded to dura 7900 and recently rode on a bike with the 9000. The difference is sooooo minimal I would stick with what you have. If you are desperate to upgrade for weight reasons the 7900 on my scales weigh 2grams(lol) less than the 9000's. If you want to upgrade for better braking then you are probably not braking properly. Loads of info on the inter-wonder-world-wide-web about braking on road bikes that is worth reading, it will improve your cycling.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am riding on Ultegra 6700 shifters, brakes and wheels. Also I have Jagwire black pads.

I can feel huge difference in braking just after I wash my bike and clean the brake surface + pads.

That is my recommendation for you before going for a new expensive set of brakes. With a brake liquid, that you can buy in gas station or something, clean the brake surface. It will take all the oily, dirty stuff on it and will give you a super grippy brake.
Warning! Don't forget the take the tire off before using it. That liquid shouldn't contact with any rubber / plastic area.

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is a "just me" thing it seems, but I have found the Dura Ace 9000 brakes an incredible improvement over the previous versions.

Personally, if I were you, and I really wanted to upgrade, I'd wait for the new Ultegra 6800 which is just around the corner.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I am riding on Ultegra 6700 shifters, brakes and wheels. Also I have Jagwire black pads.

I can feel huge difference in braking just after I wash my bike and clean the brake surface + pads.

That is my recommendation for you before going for a new expensive set of brakes. With a brake liquid, that you can buy in gas station or something, clean the brake surface. It will take all the oily, dirty stuff on it and will give you a super grippy brake.
Warning! Don't forget the take the tire off before using it. That liquid shouldn't contact with any rubber / plastic area.
A green Scotchbrite pad works great without too much trouble.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
During the warm months, you have to be careful not to ride your brakes too much, because once you've got a rim overheated, braking will suffer drastically. You've also got to make sure to use your front brake, because the rear brake does very little. I've got ultegra brakes and have done a nose wheelie at high speed, in order not to hit a deer. Just make sure you use your brakes when necessary, then get off of them to let the rims cool off. I'd bet you won't be able to tell a difference between DA & Ultegra. Work on your braking skills and you should be very happy with Ultegra.
I have locked up my rear brakes in a panic stop on a few occasions. If the rear brake does very little, how am I locking it up?

I do agree that most of the work is done by the front brake.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.