Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There've been a few comments/posts re: brakes, power in brakes, and brake pads......so to that add this:

I got the chance to try a set of green SwissStop pads in my '05 ZG Ti calipers. Prior to trying the SwissStops, I was plenty satisfied w/ the ZG's and the black pads that came with 'em. In that configuration, they performed very close...within a thin, brown hair....of the Mavic SSC's I had before them. With the green SwissStops in, they surpass the Mavics. The difference between the two different types of pads was uber significant.

Keep that in mind when assessing your brakes. Don't under estimate the importance of pads.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
austex said:
What rim material?

(and it's RPH, not "thin brown hair")
Alloy rims. And I was trying to be sexually sensitive......

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Henry Chinaski said:
I noticed that when I drag my Carnacs I can stop faster than I used to be able to dragging my Sidis.
That's because Eyetalian things is uber slick. And stylish, too.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Pads probably make more of a noticeable difference than any other part of the braking system. You can turn mediocre brakes into good performers by upgrading pads. Kool Stop salmon are my personal favorite but I've never tried SwissStop so maybe I don't know what I'm missing?

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mel Erickson said:
Pads probably make more of a noticeable difference than any other part of the braking system. You can turn mediocre brakes into good performers by upgrading pads. Kool Stop salmon are my personal favorite but I've never tried SwissStop so maybe I don't know what I'm missing?
Yup. That was the point I was trying to make.

As for comparing the green SwissStops to Kool Stop.......the only Kool Stops I've used were black ones, and I wasn't terribly impressed with 'em. They weren't horrible. They were just mediocre. The green SwissStops definitely trump the black Kool Stops, but that might not be a fair comparo. Might be better to compare green to salmon.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Yeah, the salmon seem to be comparable to the green SwissStops based on the description. Both appear to be intended for messy riding conditions.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Road cyclist said:
Since we are talking about alloy rims, do these after-market pads
reduce the amount of brake shoe residue build-up on the rim surface?
I dunno. That's a good question. I guess time will tell.....

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Koolstop Salmon (lack of) residue

Road cyclist said:
Since we are talking about alloy rims, do these after-market pads
reduce the amount of brake shoe residue build-up on the rim surface?
The frequently recommended Koolstop Salmons leave no residue build-up on rims. Sheldon Brown claims that is is because of the iron oxide in the compound (which also gives the pads their "rusty" color).

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
Swissstop explained

Ok- swissstop- they have 3 (technically 4 types) of pads- each for shimano or campy 2000+

black is for normal rims
green is for ceramic
yellow is for carbon.
there was something about a lightweight pad they also came out w/ - but I never heard anything else!

I use the yellow for my carbon rims and I swear by them- I've heard the same about people who have switched to the other color swissstops.

as for where to find them--

I've used both:
worldclasscycles.com and labicicletta.com

both are reliable and prices their prices are pretty much in line w/ other shops.

the N. America distributor is helvetia sports- www.helvetiasports.com you can get more info from them!

good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts