Chain: Nashbar/KMC 9sp
Cassette: SRAM PG-950 11-32
Fenders: SKS 45mm 700c
Racks: Blackburn Expedition rear and Nashbar low rider front
Hubs: C201
Spokes: DT 14ga (36 per wheel)
Rims: Sun CR18
Tires: Panaracer Pasela TG 700c 28mm
Pedals: Shimano SPD campus (no idea what model)
generic front brake housing stop, headset spacers, and inline cable adjusters

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Nice.

I'd say it looks entirely too practical. You need more bling! Send it to me and I'll take this abomination of usefulness off your hands.

I may need to upgrade my headset press now...my fender washers look primitive now.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jplatzner said:
Nice.

I'd say it looks entirely too practical. You need more bling! Send it to me and I'll take this abomination of usefulness off your hands.

I may need to upgrade my headset press now...my fender washers look primitive now.
You'd have to pry my LHT from my cold, dead fingers! :p

My headset press included: 24" x 0.5" threaded rod and 0.5" nuts, 0.5 - 1.5" fender washers, heavy construction washers a little larger than the fender washers, 0.75" pvc threaded riser to go between the threaded rod and the headtube (cut to length), and two 1" pvc couplers that just fit inside the cups. I also used one of the couplers to press the crown race on, underneath the handle from a hydraulic jack that was just large enough to fit over the steerer.

Primitive? How's my homebrew repair stand for primitive? :D

·
Registered
438 Posts
I love it. It's the anti-carbon bike. Everything practical and functional. even the build tools. I have a crosscheck and keep looking for a reason to upgrade, but cannot find one! i also have the one-sided SPDs and love them.

do you have any big trip planned?

post a pic if/when you load it up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In the near term it is going to be my back and forth to work every day bike. I definitely want to take it out on the kind of trip that it deserves in the future.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Very nice!

Looks ready to go see the world, with you in the saddle! You know, Nashbar has carbon fiber chainstay protectors for a few bucks; I have one en route for my old steel hybrid-turning-touring-bike for a laugh. :p

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fracisco said:
How do the tires ride? Not too mushy? Do they have decent feel when turning?
I like the way they ride. I think they are a good compromise for my commute. Fairly high pressure (rated 95 - 105 PSI). They are pretty flexible for a puncture resistant tire. They don't have any pucture protection on the sidewalls, but that hasn't been an issue. They roll well, absorb most of the roughness of bad pavement, but don't feel mushy. I think that they grip and maintain their shape well while turning, but keep in mind I am talking about commuting not racing :p. The only times I have any trouble keeping traction is on wet metal (like manhole covers), but those should probably be avoided when wet as much as you can. I figure that I pick out about 20 pieces of glass from the tread for every piece that causes a flat. That might not be "bullet proof" enough for everybody, but it is good enough for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts