Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some musical training (guitar, cello). I want to learn a horn. I played trombone in fourth grade and that was it. I want to pick up a horn again. Trumpet, trombone, French horn or tuba?

·
Registered
168 Posts
trumpet ftw. I've played all the horns for a long time, i loved trumpet, french horn was really hard to get a great tone out of, tuba was fun to play around too but I always go back to the trumpet. 18 years strong now

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Yep, I played trumpet and tuba but watched others struggle with the french horn & trombone. Trumpet is the easiest and it sometimes gets to play the melody unlike the tuba which just gets to oompah. I did like playing the tuba except for carrying it in the Christmas parade which was a pain for an 8th grader. I went back to the trumpet as well..

·
Shut Up And Ride!
168 Posts
Baritone. It has valves like a trumpet, but the mouthpiece isn't as small so it'll be kinder to your lip parts. It's got a nice rich sound and you can play any trumpet part with it and it sounds pretty good IMHO. I played one in HS. Started with trumpet, then french horn (really hard to make sound nice), then the baritone. I tried trombone, but had to learn bass clef so it was like starting all over. Lots of music is available in treble clef.

If you're trying to pick a horn to play with a band, the trumpet is the one though. Not many baritones in music these days, but they sure sound nice!

Just my $.02. YMMV...

·
Super Moderator
19,509 Posts
You need a certain type of embouchure to play the French horn. If you were playing trombone back in the day you prolly don't have that embouchure.

If someone looked at your jaw-set back then and said that you should play t-bone, you might be most comfortable with that or baritone horn.

If no one took a gander at your jaw-set, then what the heck, take up whatever your heart desires and see if it works.

Good luck.

·
World's 1st Anal-rapist
1,086 Posts
The vuvuzela.

Seriously, go to a music shop around where you live and try each of the respective mouthpieces. Make sure to ask for a standard mouthpiece, as many will have variations in ring diameter, softness, etc.

As a trombonist, it would be easy for me to just say 'trombone', but I do think the best thing you could do is just go for an hour or so and experiment. Trumpet is going to give resistance and the mouthpiece might not be accessible due to size. Horn is going to be very difficult to control, and will have some (not all) of the 'small' mouthpiece problems like the trumpet. Tuba, for many people, simply has a mouthpiece not accessible to the normal embouchure. I think the Baritone would be a good place to start. Medium mouthpiece (such as a Bach 6 1/2 AL), free blowing, valves, and easy for the average adult to hold.

Baritone (Euphonium)!

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
flugelhorn and baritone are both more forgiving (decent pitch and tone without perfect embouchure) than the trumpet is. The tenor horn is also relatively forgiving that way too.

Last year I decided to pick up a brass horn again after a 25yr hiatus. I chose a flugelhorn.

·
Mountain Biking Defector
45 Posts
Whatever you do, avoid the French Horn.

I played the thing for nearly a decade, and it took, no joke, around 6 years until I had any semblance of respectable tone with the thing.

It's one of the hardest brass instruments to play, and more than that, it takes years to not make the instrument sound like a dying cow. In comparison, I started drumming when I was 16, and 6 years into that foray I found myself in some top level indoor drumline groups, college marching band, etc. Maybe I was simply a better drummer than horn player, but I think it has more to do with the French Horn sucking as an instrument, and being incredibly hard to master.

Get a trumpet, get the ladies.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
jtrain said:
There's your answer. :D

BITD, I played trumpet and remember all the struggles of the french horn players. Did not look like fun.

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
jtrain said:
Whatever you do, avoid the French Horn.

I played the thing for nearly a decade, and it took, no joke, around 6 years until I had any semblance of respectable tone with the thing.

It's one of the hardest brass instruments to play, and more than that, it takes years to not make the instrument sound like a dying cow. In comparison, I started drumming when I was 16, and 6 years into that foray I found myself in some top level indoor drumline groups, college marching band, etc. Maybe I was simply a better drummer than horn player, but I think it has more to do with the French Horn sucking as an instrument, and being incredibly hard to master.

While none of the orchestras I've ever played in have been of any national-billing-status, most haven't been bad. Except for the french horns. Get four horn players, with at least 120 years of experience w/ the instrument between them, and they still can't play in tune.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
A Kazoo. or skin flute. Kidding aside.

I played the trumpet and baritone through out elementary and middle school. I have still dabbled with it here and there.

Stay away from the french horn. Since you played the tuba - even though the notes are different - its still similar as far as the fingering goes to the trumpet. You should be able to pick it up fairly quickly.

·
Registered
188 Posts
though it's technically woodwind learn the saxophone. It's the easiest.

Plus everyone knows sax players get laid the most.. It's just a fact.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
rcnute said:
I have some musical training (guitar, cello). I want to learn a horn. I played trombone in fourth grade and that was it. I want to pick up a horn again. Trumpet, trombone, French horn or tuba?
Tuba players have the biggest instruments.

Plus, as long as you can fill them with air, they're remarkably easy to play. And it's rare that the music demands all that much of the player. If you really want to play, community bands / orchestras can never find enough big guns to join.

OTOH, trumpets are cheap in the classifieds / craigslist / pawnshop. If all you want to do is piddle around in the basement, grab onto one of those.

Trombone is easy unless you want to play in tune, and french horns are easy vis a vis strangled goose imitations.

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
Magsdad said:
Baritone (Euphonium)!
bass trumpet, anyone? :D I have a miraphone. i love the rotary valves. http://www.wcwband.co.uk/basstrumpet.htm

we also have an antique uphonium in the house. i played baritone while in classical band but practiced with the bass trumpet. the BT was too quiet for orchestra.

on topic: if the trumpet is too brassy, try a cornet. just a touch softer.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
I second/third the Baritone suggestion. I've played the trumpet, trombone, flute and baritone, and baritone was easiest.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts