Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who's got more info? Share the goods. Having no TV coverage is depressing.

from cyclingnews:
---------------
Stage 5 - April 22: Blairsville, GA - Brasstown Bald Mountain, GA, 152.1km

Danielson wins but Landis holds on

In a spectacular battle in the final kilometers of Brasstown Bald today, Tom Danielson (Discovery) was able to take the stage win from Floyd Landis (Phonak) but the greater victory actually went to Landis, who finished on the same time as the Discovery rider as kept his overall lead of the Tour de Georgia with only one stage remaining.
Discovery went on the attack from the word go again today, sending their pawn, Jason McCartney up the road and forcing Phonak to do the work in the chase. McCartney held on until the descent off Unicoi Gap, just in time for the action to begin. Almost as soon as the race hit the base of the final climb the pressure was on. Discovery forced the pace and before long only 12 riders were left in the front group. One by one riders got dropped until it was only Yaroslav Popovych (Discovery) leading Danielson and Landis. Danielson started with the attacked, but Landis could follow. The pair continuing to attack each other as Popovych continually got dropped and got back on. Former winner of this stage Cesar Grejales (Navigators) was also yo-yoing of the group.
In the final kilometer Popovych caught back on one last time and attacked immediately. He got the gap but was caught by the dueling Landis/Danielson pair with 200m to go. Danielson attacked again, Floyd came back gave Danielson a look and attacked again. Finally it was Danielson who managed to pip Landis in the sprint to the finish, but with no time bonus seconds Landis retained his lead and will go into the final stage wearing the yellow jersey.
Full report to come.
Results

Provisional

1 Tom Danielson (Discovery)
2 Floyd Landis (Phonak)
3 Yaroslav Popovych (Discovery)
4 Cesar Grajales (Navigators)
General Classification

1 Floyd Landis (Phonak)
2 Tom Danielson (Discovery)

3 Yaroslav Popovych (Discovery)

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
15:25 EDT
The lead group is very small already. Only 12 riders left up there now. Zabriskie has been dropped from the group and in a small group behind.
In the front group is Danielson, Popovych and Brajkovic from Discovery, Landis Stalder and Tschopp from Phonak.
15:26 EDT
Also in the group is Fernandez, Pinotti from Prodir, Jurgen Van De Walle from Quick Step, Cesar Grejales (Navigators) and Justin England (Toyota United).
15:27 EDT
Correction Tschopp is not up there, it is Jose Enrique Gutierrez Cataluna.
15:28 EDT
Discovery is setting the pace in the group. One of the Gutierrez Cataluna's has lost contact from the Phonak team.
15:31 EDT
One Discovery rider down, two left. Popovych is leading the pace. Grajales has been dropped. He is 75m behind the leaders.
15:31 EDT 148.5km/3.6km to go
About 3.5km from the top. It gets really steep here.
15:33 EDT
Danielson is sitting behind Popovych. He is out of the saddle. Floyd is behind him. 3km to go. We are doing a tough switchback now. When you go around here you can see the summit in the distance. Its really steep here. They're all out of the saddle climbing. Danielson has attacked. Floyd has gone with him.
15:34 EDT
Danielson and Landis are alone together. Popovych has actually caught back on now and is back on the front setting the pace.
15:34 EDT
Landis looked to easily cover Danielson's attack that time.
15:36 EDT 150km/2.1km to go
Floyd is attacking this time. But Danielson grabs his wheel. They are both out of the saddle. They have 2km to go. They are side by side.
15:36 EDT
Landis is attacking again!
15:37 EDT
Danielson has responded. Now they're talking to each other. That would be an interesting conversation.
15:38 EDT 150.1km/2km to go
They're side by side again. They are still out of the saddle. They are just now at 2km to go.
15:39 EDT
Danielson tries again but he can't get rid of Floyd. popovych made it back to the two and immediately attacked. Landis covered it. Grajales is also making his way back!
15:39 EDT
Popvych is a fighter. He is getting dropped a little but he's coming back.
15:41 EDT
Popovych has attacked again and has a small gap ahead of Landis. Grajales is back with Danielson and Landis.
15:41 EDT
They are at 1km to go. Grajales is setting the pace from Landis and Danielson.
15:42 EDT
They are inside the final kilometer. Popvych is in the lead. He is alone. He is still seated but is fighting.
15:43 EDT
He still has 50m on Landis and danielson. Grajales is another 10m behind them.
15:43 EDT
Popo is still seated and is about to hit the turn. He is out of the saddle now making the turn and then he sits again.
15:44 EDT
He is looking behind him. He gets out of the saddle. He has 300m to go.
15:44 EDT
Danielson is attacking Landis now!
15:45 EDT
200 to go. Danielson is making up ground. Landis is with him. They have caught Popovych. Danielson attacks!
15:45 EDT
Floyd comes back, he looks at Floyd and attacks. Danielson comes back though and starts his sprint. He takes the win from Floyd.
15:46 EDT
They finish on the same time!
15:46 EDT
Popo finishes just behind and Grajales comes in a bit later.
15:48 EDT
What an amazing finish. even with time bonuses it looks like Floyd will hold on to the lead but we'll have to wait until the official call.
15:52 EDT
We've just heard that there are no time bonuses today, so Floyd retains the lead!
15:56 EDT
Thanks for tuning in. We'll be back very shortly with the full results and report. Tomorrow is the final stage. It's 190km from Cumming to Alpharetta with only one cat 3 climb. A stage for the sprinters and one that is unlkely to affect the overall.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Disco's team tactics.

I called it two days ago, saying, of Floyd, "He's a climber for sure, but now Disco can use tactics Quick-Step traditionally employ in the classics. They have three riders, three cards to play, three climbing cards to play. Landis can be isolated and attacked."

Disco used the tactics, but Floyd held it together. Even though this may be "just" the Tour of Georgia, he showed he can keep a cool head and match the pure climbers.

·
Banned
608 Posts
Jesse D Smith said:
Disco used the tactics, but Floyd held it together. Even though this may be "just" the Tour of Georgia, he showed he can keep a cool head and match the pure climbers.
Floyd was impressive considering he is not slated to reach peak form for two and half months. TD should be in top form now or within three weeks, and he is more of a pure climber than Landis. With the hella steep grades of that last climb, Floyd did well to hold off TD.

These small stage race victories will help Floyd in the Tour. His teammates and the team's management now know that Landis can deliver the goods and deserves the team's full support.

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cruzer2424 said:
why no time bonuses? :(

i would rather see a danielson repeat than a floyd taking the win!
You'll have to face it sooner or later. Floyd is the real deal.

He'll be top american in the TDF, I have no doubt. And that could be a very good placing as well.

francois

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Under ACrookedSky said:
Floyd was impressive considering he is not slated to reach peak form for two and half months. TD should be in top form now or within three weeks, and he is more of a pure climber than Landis. With the hella steep grades of that last climb, Floyd did well to hold off TD.

These small stage race victories will help Floyd in the Tour. His teammates and the team's management now know that Landis can deliver the goods and deserves the team's full support.
He held off 4 seconds against a great climber. He held off 4 seconds against a team of Danielson and Popovych. He held off 4 seconds on the same hill where he lost over a minute last year.

Floyd done good. Race over!

francois

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
I agree

francois said:
You'll have to face it sooner or later. Floyd is the real deal.

He'll be top american in the TDF, I have no doubt. And that could be a very good placing as well.

francois

This is fast becoming his year, he seems to have turned that corner so to speak or stepped it up to the next level, however you want to look at it. He is the best American rider in the world right now.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
the way it should be

if you can't make the time you don't get it.

I am the exact flip of your take - I would much rather see Floyd get the win than Danielson.
Cruzer2424 said:
why no time bonuses? :(

i would rather see a danielson repeat than a floyd taking the win!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Man, I am SO sorry I didn't go today...

Live in ATL, and planned to go but had some things come up. Ended up glued to the cyclingnews.com coverage. Can't wait to see it on OLN. Always knew Floyd could TT, but to hang with all the climbers on Brasstown Bald, especially this early in the season, is almost scary.

Just hope he is not peaking too early...

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
physasst said:
This is fast becoming his year, he seems to have turned that corner so to speak or stepped it up to the next level, however you want to look at it. He is the best American rider in the world right now.
If you're a true believer you should have Floyd in your avatar. Oh wait a minute...

Btw, I read there was a bit of talking between the two during the final moments of the epic battle. My spies haven't said yet what words were delivered so I'll have to make up my own.

Floyd: I'm behind you, but I'm really 4 seconds ahead of you. It might look like you're winning, but you're really losing.
TommyD: Amercanzi!!

Floyd: Your buddy lance ain't here to babysit you.
TommyD: Popo, get over here and kick his tail.

Floyd: How about that roadbikereview site huh?
TommyD: I don't know. I still like mtbr better.

:p:D:cool:,
fc

·
Registered
192 Posts
cthomas said:
Live in ATL, and planned to go but had some things come up. Ended up glued to the cyclingnews.com coverage. Can't wait to see it on OLN. Always knew Floyd could TT, but to hang with all the climbers on Brasstown Bald, especially this early in the season, is almost scary.

Just hope he is not peaking too early...
I wasn't a Landis believer last year, but I have to admit - I am now.
After a mighty impressive Paris-Nice, Tour of California and now TdG, I am becoming a closeted Landis fan.

I have two concerns for the Tour - a) Landis is peaking too early and wasting efforts on things that may not count in the end
b) he doesn't have a very strong team, and even then, Phonak may be interested in breakaway stage wins, therefore even further reducing support for Landis.

I hope this year's tour suits him well - he can put a lot of hurt on climbers in two ITT's and hang in with them in the mountains, as he did today.

·
Registered
467 Posts
32and3cross said:
if you can't make the time you don't get it.

I am the exact flip of your take - I would much rather see Floyd get the win than Danielson.
I agree 200%.There should have been NO time bonuses.You get what you earn and Lances biggest fan didn't have what it takes to shake Floyd today so no win for him.

cthomas said:
Can't wait to see it on OLN.
Don't hold your breath.I think they aren't covering any of it.:mad:

·
Registered
593 Posts
R.Rice said:
I agree 200%.There should have been NO time bonuses.You get what you earn and Lances biggest fan didn't have what it takes to shake Floyd today so no win for him.

Don't hold your breath.I think they aren't covering any of it.:mad:
Go ahead and hold your breath. OLN has a 2 hour TdG show on April 30th from 5 pm - 7pm, then replaying on May 1st from 3 pm - 5 pm.

·
Registered
38 Posts
francois said:
Yesterday, I asked if Zabriskie can climb. Well today, we have a data point. He finished 13th, 2:07 behind the leaders. So he can climb! But not world class.

But check this out.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/apr06/georgia06/?id=georgia065/JDtdgstg511

Holy muscle! What the?

francois

24Hours said:
You are correct... taking it from none other than Tyler Hemo-tin, right?

But what impresses me more is that he set the record one of my hometown favorites: The Bob Cook (Mt. Evans) Hill Climb. That ride takes 28 miles and accends 7,000ft.

Other notable past winners/ course record holders: Vaughters, Grewal, Engleman.

Tommy D is for real, he just needs to put it all together.
And I called it a day earlier too. Just wish the Tommy D could get it all together for one of the grand tours.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was there on top of Brasstown today and those top 3 guys seemed to be in fine form. The rest of the riders were having a hard time. It took me almost an 1hr and 1\2 to get to the top of Brasstown by walking. And my legs felt awful soo i can only image how these guys felt. Tour de Georgia Rules!!!!! I felt totally felt i was in Europe with all the fans crowding the mountain it was and experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
russianrocket said:
Tour de Georgia Rules!!!!!
Weird, a week ago you said, "Georgia should go ahead and pull out of the cycling world. They are awful rosters that don't even really matter. No one respects this event and it is in the worst spot calander wise. I thought at first when the roster was released it was going to a pretty damn good race. But low and behold everyone and there brother pulled out of the race. And the American support for this event is piss poor."

Don't bag on events, or they WILL go away.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts