Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much adjustment in an average brazed on ft der hanger?

I'm telling the builder I want to be able to run chainrings from 50 to 53 and getting flak.
He says he can't guarantee it will fit for both...

Huh? He can't handle a 3 tooth difference? That doesn't sound right.

G

·
My Colnago Master-x has a braze on, I have set it up with no problems from 50 to 53 using the same Shimano front mech for both.

Under normal circumstances I don't see why that would be a problem.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hmmm... OK, so on some older frames, sometimes a braze-on won't allow going to a compact- not so much an issue of the big ring, but being able to reach the small ring.

Is he really giving you flack for the 50-53, or desiring adjustability btwn a compact and a standard? That could be a problem...

Is there potential for a clamp-on, and then you can just avoid the whole mess?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bluemarinoni said:
Hmmm... OK, so on some older frames, sometimes a braze-on won't allow going to a compact- not so much an issue of the big ring, but being able to reach the small ring.

Is he really giving you flack for the 50-53, or desiring adjustability btwn a compact and a standard? That could be a problem...

Is there potential for a clamp-on, and then you can just avoid the whole mess?
A FD is always adjusted to be exactly 2mm above the big ring, so reaching the small ring has nothing to do with it. Compacts didn't work on older frames because it was assumed the *smallest* big chainring would be 52, not 50. But they could typically handle from 52-56, so the range is the same.

I don't want a clamp on...

·
Registered
39 Posts
One of my bike has a brazed on (colnago clx). It's sold as complete bike with standard and compact options. I can take some measurement for you in terms of brazed on position from BB and the length of the "slot" on the brazed on mount tonight if you want.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It really should not be a problem. Using the chart from the campagnolo instructions it looks like 146 mm - 148 mm will get you right in the middle of the range you are considering.
L is the distance from the center of the BB to the center of the braze on slot.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Height specification

android said:
A FD is always adjusted to be exactly 2mm above the big ring.
This is not correct. I haven't looked at recent technical specification, but historically the number is 1 mm. Beyond that, most setups work best with the FD cage as close as possible to the chainrings. Sometimes, 2 mm will be too much of a gap and the derailleur will not work as well as possible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.