Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Vermonter
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I know the answer but I thought I'd ask anyway. If one could do either one, is there an advantage to one over the other?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Some info.

Advantage of the braze-on is less weight and a cleaner look. Disadvantage is small range of adjustment (no very large or small outside chain rings), possible weakening of the seat tube in the mounting tab attachment area (especially with Ti frames) and the need for a shop repair should the mounting tab come loose.

Advantage of the clamp-on is the much larger adjustment range to accomodate very large or small outside chain rings, and the absence of mounting tab holes / welds in the seat tube. Disadvantage is more weight, breaking up the clean lines of the seat tube, and the possibility of deforming / cracking the seat tube if installed with excessive torque.

·
Vermonter
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
amicus said:
I think I know the answer but I thought I'd ask anyway. If one could do either one, is there an advantage to one over the other?
I should have made myself a little clearer. The braze-on FD has a clamp meant to attach a braze-on FD

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
amicus said:
I should have made myself a little clearer. The braze-on FD has a clamp meant to attach a braze-on FD
That certainly cleared it up????

Do you mean that the FD model you have is a braze on style with a separate clamped on "braze-on" style mount?, as opposed to one where the derailleur unit and clamp assembly are all one piece?

If so, the one piece system is cleaner looking but the two piece system is more universal needing only a replacement of the clamp portion if moved to a bike with a different diameter seat tube.

The two piece also allows a bit more freedom to move the FD forward or back with respect to the crankset. It isn't much but I've had it come in very handy when working on bikes with very steep seat tube angles.

·
Vermonter
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FBinNY said:
That certainly cleared it up????

Do you mean that the FD model you have is a braze on style with a separate clamped on "braze-on" style mount?, as opposed to one where the derailleur unit and clamp assembly are all one piece?
Yes, sorry for the confusion FB. I happen to have the former plus a complete clamp FD assembly

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
In that case, since you already own both, see if the clamp-on one shifts well, or if you'd benefit from the slight bit of added adjustment the two piece offers.

Or you can decide on which would bring a higher price when you sold it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts