Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
steel515 said:
When clinchers are new from the box, they are folded, not round.
How long does it take to break in?

Also, I think putting it on the rear would be better, because the rear wears faster?
Mount them and put 125 or so pounds in them and they are round. To make them easier to mount, if I remember, I will hang them up the night before to let the creases smooth out. Doesn't have anything to do with the ride, just makes the mounting easier. If I intend to race on a new tire, I will usually scrub it with a scotchbrite pad. Probably don't need to, but I had a bad experience with a michelin about 13 years ago that had some kind of coating on the tread. I don't think that they make them the same way now.

· Registered
21,832 Posts
No breakin required

steel515 said:
When clinchers are new from the box, they are folded, not round.
How long does it take to break in? Also, I think putting it on the rear would be better, because the rear wears faster?
A new tire may have some mold release agent on it, so bigbill's suggestion of skuffing it up with Scotchbrite is not a bad idea if you tend to crank the corners pretty hard. Otherwise, the tire will straighten right out when first mounted and ride just fine.

Conventional wisdom is to put the new tire on the front, since that is where you want/need the best traction, handling, and flat resistance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.