Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are other posters who like to cook, and I thought I'd pass along a recent culinary discovery (though our cooking editor, who sits about 10 feet from me, says I'm the only person in America older than 25 who didn't already own one):
I've had the same tinny little hand mixer for years, but Saturday I came into an unexpected $100 with strict instructions to squander it on something frivolous. The same day, I stumbled across a Kitchen Aid stand mixer (~$160) on sale for $145. I got another 20 percent off for applying for a store credit card (which I'll cancel as soon as it comes, because of the 28 percent interest rate). Total with tax came to about 25 bucks out of pocket, and it's the greatest kitchen utensil since the knife. You need one more than you need a new derailleur.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
I think your cooking editor was right. ;)

Did you spring for any of the attachments -- the sausage attachment, etc?

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
Cory said:
I know there are other posters who like to cook, and I thought I'd pass along a recent culinary discovery (though our cooking editor, who sits about 10 feet from me, says I'm the only person in America older than 25 who didn't already own one):
I've had the same tinny little hand mixer for years, but Saturday I came into an unexpected $100 with strict instructions to squander it on something frivolous. The same day, I stumbled across a Kitchen Aid stand mixer (~$160) on sale for $145. I got another 20 percent off for applying for a store credit card (which I'll cancel as soon as it comes, because of the 28 percent interest rate). Total with tax came to about 25 bucks out of pocket, and it's the greatest kitchen utensil since the knife. You need one more than you need a new derailleur.
You "stumbled across a Kitchen Aid stand mixer"? Where have you been living, under a rock? You can't get away from these things in any housewares store you happen to walk through... They are fantastic, though. I love mine and use it weekly. I'd probably use it daily if I had a family to cook for.

·
Super Moderator
19,477 Posts
I've lusted after one of those things for years. I haven't gotten one because there's not enough room on our kitchen counter for it. :(

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Welcome to 2006..... :p Kitchen Aids are great - stay away from the juicer attachment though!

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
vonteity said:
You "stumbled across a Kitchen Aid stand mixer"? Where have you been living, under a rock? You can't get away from these things in any housewares store you happen to walk through... They are fantastic, though. I love mine and use it weekly. I'd probably use it daily if I had a family to cook for.
Von, how is the kitchen remodel going?

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Cory said:
Unless one makes lots of breads, doughs, cakes and such what good is a mixer? I get by just fine with my hand mixer and immersion blender. Think I use the hand mixer maybe 2 times a year making mashed potatoes.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Unless one makes lots of breads, doughs, cakes and such what good is a mixer? I get by just fine with my hand mixer and immersion blender. Think I use the hand mixer maybe 2 times a year making mashed potatoes.
If you have room for it, and you get it free with all the attachments because your sister upgraded hers, it's fantastic even if you never use it!

Otherwise, I agree that unless you bake it's probably not such a great choice in gadgets--big and spendy.

I actually use mine a lot for beating eggs or whipping cream--the whisk-style beater is awesome--but where it really shines in our house is the attachments. We have the meat grinder/sausage stuffer and pasta rollers, and they see a lot of use. Love making homemade sausage. Also running fresh, seeded tomatoes through the fine grinder is a quick way to start a delicious red sauce, without peeling or opening cans!

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
Also running fresh, seeded tomatoes through the fine grinder is a quick way to start a delicious red sauce, without peeling or opening cans!
I'm usually lazy--I just buy the diced tomatoes in cans. I know fresh tastes better, but all in all the diced tastes pretty good and speeds up the process of chopping tomatoes.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
We got the big one, the Professional 600 model. I think it could mix concrete! Most people don't need that kind of size and power, but my wife is a phenomenal baker, and she uses it a lot. I got to use it for the first time the other day to make cheesecake.

We traded in some excess wedding gifts to get it, so I think it cost us about $30.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:
This thing is the t*ts. Feels quality, too. Weighs a ton.
Not hand cutting your pasta? Sacrilege!

·
gazing from the shadows
27,208 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Think I use the hand mixer maybe 2 times a year making mashed potatoes.
My GOD man! Mixers are NOT to be used for mashed potatoes! What kind of barbarian are you?

Buy yourself a hand masher, one with holes in it (not the bent wire kind). $5.

Boil in salted water. Drain potatoes, let stand for a while so they dry.

Mash 4-6 times to break things up, add butter. Always add butter first, that keeps the starch away from other liquids you add later. Mash some more. Add milk/cream/sour cream/whatever and finish mashing to desired consistancy.

Hand mixer, bah!

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
dr hoo said:
My GOD man! Mixers are NOT to be used for mashed potatoes! What kind of barbarian are you?

Buy yourself a hand masher, one with holes in it (not the bent wire kind). $5.

Boil in salted water. Drain potatoes, let stand for a while so they dry.

Mash 4-6 times to break things up, add butter. Always add butter first, that keeps the starch away from other liquids you add later. Mash some more. Add milk/cream/sour cream/whatever and finish mashing to desired consistancy.

Hand mixer, bah!
I have yet to come across a masher with holes in it that's any good, I am a true follower of the bent wire cult. Also because they are better for mashing up taters and veg (Kale, sauerkraut, raw endive). :)

·
BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
Excellent addition Cory, you definately won't be sorry. I never get to use ours, but my wife is an amazing cook who comes from a line of culinary school graduates. We have the Commercial 5 Series and it's an amazing machine.

Some other recent additions to the kitchen that are really indispensible:

Cuisinart Handy Prep 3 Cup food processor:

Le Creuset 9 qt Dutch Oven

and 9" Cast Iron Deep Skillet

·
BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
rogger said:
I have yet to come across a masher with holes in it that's any good, I am a true follower of the bent wire cult. Also because they are better for mashing up taters and veg (Kale, sauerkraut, raw endive). :)

If you like your potatos fine a ricer is really the best. Also required for potato based pastas such as gnocchi.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts