Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok the laptop I have been screwing with for WEEKS now..... I MIGHT have it back and up again and STABLE. The rtc battery holder broke of the motherboard and when i found a "new" MB for 50 bucks I felt like it was worth a shot. The MB was SUPPOSED to be the same however, the bios reported different info on a few counts. I would install XP pro and it would be fine until it wasn't any more...LOL

It would freeze up tight then not ever want to re-boot into the OS (windows OR linnux)

SO.....I assumed a heat issue. I pulled it apart again (yeah I am getting REALLY fast, 10 minutes to get it apart and MB out and re-assembled~!)

I pulled off the fan and cooling slug and re-doped it, pulled the silcone pad off the video cooling pad and put artic silver in there too..NOPE....still froze solid.

zeroed the hdd......try again...nope...memory test...nope

I had tried to solder the battery carrier back BUT the coppers were peeled OFF the MB and it was futile. OK.....today i had an epiphany...the new MB was bad?..... I got the old one OUT OF THE GARBAGE.....cleaned it off, drilled down to the proper plate on the board and soldered 2 jumper wires. THEN soldered the battery itself in!

It booted....and I am 4 or so hours into it now and it is running twice as long as it has in the past 3 weeks. (2 hours at the most)

I am running XP pro updates as I type this (not using it now, I am on the new one)

I just ran 70 updates including SP 3 and it just re-rooted fine.
I fully intend to let it run for a few days before I waste another minute installing software.

I don't do video games BUT I do consider myself to be kind of a hardware wizard....In 20 years, I have NEVER been beaten by a computer...this was just killing me....Not a done deal yet BUT it is looking more promising that it has since it blew up.

I will let it run for a couple of days, the shut it down, pull the battery and unplug it and let it sit for a day...THEN plug it back in and see if my CMOS is still good...

wish me luck!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not the first sucker I've put a soldering iron too.....I also realized Ububtu runs like a dream on this new one, complete with wireless. I am kinda toying with running a dual boot..

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need windows for way too many software applications to go that route, and I do not have enough money to have 2 laptops.....(although MIGHT have the LiveStrong working)

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
I need windows for way too many software applications to go that route, and I do not have enough money to have 2 laptops.....(although MIGHT have the LiveStrong working)
what do you NEED that isn't available on Linux? seriously.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
asciibaron said:
what do you NEED that isn't available on Linux? seriously.
quick books pro
for one......a HUGE issue as well...
I also need to be able to get a scanner up and running, I know for sure that 9.04 wouldn't do that...

and garmins software, if I need to run an emulator, I might as well just run windows, which btw, i have NO problems with

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am 54 bucks into this now......not including the 8000 bucks in labor at 2 bucks an hour...lol

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
however...the cmos does NOT hold the time (real time clock) so I do NOT have the battery working...oh well.....at least it runs and is stable

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
however...the cmos does NOT hold the time (real time clock) so I do NOT have the battery working...oh well.....at least it runs and is stable
You should have gotten a Timex.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mike...i am going to give it to my son...and i just got his watch back from the watchmaker....so I got that covered too...LOL

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...I emailed the place that sold me the motherboard, and described exactly what was happening with the suspicions that the board was bad. I got the new one today and I can now replace the motherboard (including swapping the processor and cooling stuff ) in just under 45 minutes from assembled and running to re-assembled and running.

Sure as sh!t...this one is FINE, works perfectly...no wonder I couldn't get it to work right...the main board was bad!

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
So, about 9500 in labor by now? At least you have it all fixed up for Lance to use since he's going to be in town.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Don't ever start a post starting with the word breaking, as in 'breaking news'. I thought you broke a leg.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no but I'm hoping to break 2000 miles for the year pretty soon....sigh.......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts