Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· RoadBikeRider
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am fairly new to the world of ten speed. I have worked on 7-8 speed chains in the past without any problems. I have never used any type of masterlinks or powerlinks. Here is my question since I need to remove my 10 speed Shimano chain for service. Do most of you 10 speed users out there re assemble a 10 speed chain with the tapered/break-off rivets or just go with the master link? Any problems with the master links (not sure what they are really called) or do they work fine? Also, is it any more difficult re-riveting 10 speed chain than it is a 7 or 8 speed chain? I like to keep it simple but reliable too! I have the Park chain tool CT-5 which I have had for years but they say it will work on a 10 speed chain.

THX

· Registered
5,358 Posts
For 9 and 10sp chains you use a special replacement rivet. It's extra long and tapered. You push it all the way through until it 'clicks' and then use a pair of pliers to snap off the protruding end.

It's a one use deal- don't break the chain on it next time.

The chains come with two of the special rivets and instructions.

When I had 7 sp I used to break the chain weekly for cleaning and just push the rivet back in. But with 9 and 10sp I clean the chain on the bike (with a rag) and break it only to put a new one on.

· Registered
1,876 Posts
Very recently there was a lengthy thread about master links.
I don't use them and never remove my chain except to replace it. I clean my chain frequently on the bikes.
You should never re-use a standard pin and it's best to never re-join using the same link. Campagnolo has a kit with several new links and special pins for joining their 10-speed chain.

Al

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.