Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a taco place near my office called Taco John's, which I thought was an indy but Google tells me is a chain in the upper plains states. Only one I've ever seen, though, is here in Reno. Never been in it until today, when I was in a hurry and zipped in thinking about a taco and drink.
Leaping off the menu at me was Potatoes Ole, which turned out to be sort of nachos with a Midwest twist: Got your customary cheese sauce, salsa etc., all ladled over a big mound of Tater Tots. 770 calories, 46 grams of fat, 2200 mg of sodium.
Please, sir, may I have another?

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i've seen signs for them, but was never brave enough to stop in one.

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
Yeah, Taco John's are all over the place here. Weird to think you would assume they are independent.

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
I'm glad to hear you're brave enough for Taco Johns. Is that the one that was just rebuilt or the old one on the corner of Wells and Ryland? I get the two confused. The one mid-block is actually pretty good. The one on the corner I'm more than a little sceared of..

·
Registered
362 Posts
I managed to stomach a grande potatoes ole for the first time a few weeks ago. It was my first foray into not only a Taco John's but also a fast food joint in over a year and it definitely made me remember why I had been avoiding them for so long.

·
Old enough to know better
720 Posts
Why didn't you get a six pack and a pound?

Also @ our TJ's Tuesday is "taco Tuesday". Hardshell taco for $.50! We used to go there when I was still in highschool and see who could consume the most. Good times. The record back in the day IIRC was 15. Potatoe oles r teh bomb.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yep, lemmee testify here............
Taco Johns is the best fast food mexican on the planet!

Make sure you get the 'super hot sauce'. They seem to just grind up pickled jalepenos for the sauce and it is deeeeelicious.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
i dont know if they still sell it, but taco johns used to have a taco with a shell made of flat bread that was deep fried. the best worst food in the world.

·
Registered
800 Posts
They had a Taco Johns in Southern Illinois in 1993. It was like 1 block from Taco Bell and subsequently closed a year later. IMO the only fast food mexican you need in a college town is Labambas burritos as big as your head.

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts
Taco John's is the best and sure as hell beats the crap out of Taco Hell. In fact I have been employed by Taco John's not once but twice in my lifetime. Once in high school and once in college, which was over 25 years ago. I can still sling tacos like nobodies business. I even meet the big cheese owner of the whole enchilada when he was flying around the Midwest in his Lear jet checking on the franchise stores. :D

So how many other loungers have worked fast food in the past?

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
Do they have Taco Tuesday? Two for $0.99!

Or at least it was in high school, 10 years ago. Love that place.

PS: Kentucky isn't a plains state.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
OldEndicottHiway said:
Kind of like "Toot n Totum's" in Texas. First time I saw one I was like, what does that mean?
I has an idea. :idea:

They've been around forever but almost disappeared around here until a few years ago. The first one was built in an area that has more business leaving than coming, and for a couple of months they had record sales and a line out into the street (their typical customer can't be bothered to get out of their car and actually walk in). If you're feeling sodium deficient, they'll hook you up.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Henry Porter said:
Yeah, Taco John's are all over the place here. Weird to think you would assume they are independent.
Well, I'm a West Coast guy, and their Web site says they have just one place in Nevada, none in California or Oregon. I don't get to Nebraska much, so the one in Reno is the only one I've seen.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.