Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
the fist
13,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The flatter side of the street here in SW MO.

Before the ride.

I think TimmyT mighta been hungover or something. Home boy couldn't hold a pace for diddly.

One of the climbs today:p

bad angle

Fields upon fields

A lot of this going on....and on...

A very nice driveway

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I agree - the B&W is especially nice.

A ride to raise $$ for breast cancer is certainly a worthy cause. Since men die from prostrate cancer in approximately the same numbers that women die from breast cancer, I can't help wonder why there aren't any rides for the cure for prostrate cancer. I realize that it's very politically incorrect to raise this issue, but I really do wonder.

·
the fist
13,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mr. Versatile said:

A ride to raise $$ for breast cancer is certainly a worthy cause. Since men die from prostrate cancer in approximately the same numbers that women die from breast cancer, I can't help wonder why there aren't any rides for the cure for prostrate cancer. I realize that it's very politically incorrect to raise this issue, but I really do wonder.

Thanks for the compliment, but let's not start any fights here.:)

Issues get raised in PO.

btw: Maybe you've come across an opportunity.:)

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Another vote on your black and white!

It looks humid as all get out there. How were the temps?

I love the dog shots. That tongue is hilarious.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Where was this breast cancer ride? As you can see from my signature, I've been organizing a breast cancer ride Penn to NYC for the past five years. Props to you for doing it.

teh moreon said:
Thanks for the compliment, but let's not start any fights here.:)

Issues get raised in PO.

btw: Maybe you've come across an opportunity.:)

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
As someone who has been involved in cancer advocacy work for seven years, I can say you raise a good point. Why aren't there any rides for PC? That's because PC advocates need to get organized and motivated to do them. Period. These rides don't appear out of thin air. They require thousands of hours of volunteer work. Most PC advocacy groups are busy enough raising money and coordinating programs--they can't just stop all that do organize a charity ride.

I think at one point the Phinney family was working on this. Davis Phinney's father died of metastatic prostate cancer. But I think that has fallen by the wayside.

I know LAF does excellent work on the PC front.

Mr. Versatile said:

·
the fist
13,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
team_sheepshead said:
Where was this breast cancer ride? As you can see from my signature, I've been organizing a breast cancer ride Penn to NYC for the past five years. Props to you for doing it.
Breast Cancer Foundation of the Ozarks - Springfield, Missouri

I think this was the 4th annual year. My old boss had breast cancer and survived. My sister's best friend died less than 6 months after her cancer was found. I do it to honor them.

·
the fist
13,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ridgetop said:
Another vote on your black and white!

It looks humid as all get out there. How were the temps?

I love the dog shots. That tongue is hilarious.
Thanks!! I was lucky. I hardly ever stop my bike to take a picture. I realy wanted to get that shot though. yeay!:D

Those dogs are krazy, with a capital CRAZY.

We were pounded by rain on Friday. So, the humidity of Sat morning was pretty intense. But I couldn't have asked for a better day of riding. Winds were about 7-9mph from the south and the temps were mild.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,451 Posts
team_sheepshead said:
As someone who has been involved in cancer advocacy work for seven years, I can say you raise a good point. Why aren't there any rides for PC? That's because PC advocates need to get organized and motivated to do them. Period. These rides don't appear out of thin air. They require thousands of hours of volunteer work. Most PC advocacy groups are busy enough raising money and coordinating programs--they can't just stop all that do organize a charity ride.

I think at one point the Phinney family was working on this. Davis Phinney's father died of metastatic prostate cancer. But I think that has fallen by the wayside.

I know LAF does excellent work on the PC front.
"Athletes for a cure" focuses on PC. When I was diagnosed with PC back in March, I found this group when researching the effects of riding on my cancer.
Athletes for a cure website: http://www.athletesforacure.org/
Prostate Cancer Foundation website: http://www.prostatecancerfoundation.org/site/c.itIWK2OSG/b.1060989/k.FE99/Athletes_for_a_Cure.htm

Perhaps one of the challenges to come to grips with is the amount of press and urban legends that draw a relationship between cycling and enlarged prostates.

BTW - Good work tehM!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.