Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day on the treadmill I started working on breathing and noticed my heart rate dropped about 5 bpm when I took slower in breaths and slower but forceful exhales. I worked on this a bit on the treadmill but had trouble doing so on my Wednesday ride.

Does anyone have any good resources--books, online videos, etc. on breathing technique?

Thanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I once read that you should breath so you exhale on alternating pedal strokes as you tend to apply more power as you exhale. Not what you are asking. I think that was from a cycling magazine in the 80's.

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
The other day on the treadmill I started working on breathing and noticed my heart rate dropped about 5 bpm when I took slower in breaths and slower but forceful exhales. I worked on this a bit on the treadmill but had trouble doing so on my Wednesday ride.

Does anyone have any good resources--books, online videos, etc. on breathing technique?
Of course there's "belly breathing" and the idea to focus on the exhale and let the inhale take care of itself. But I find that your body is reasonably good at telling you when you need to breath harder. :)

·
Registered
940 Posts
I have Eat and Run on my audio book list and he talks about this in the brief sojourns out of his navel gazing and self back patting, the nose is for breathing, I cannot breathe enough through my nose (no doubt reflective of my troglodyte origins) and running and swimming are areas that require me to really pay attention to abdominal or yoga type breathing. The bike is fine though, funnily enough. But mindful breathing does affect your heart rate, it is just physiology, like mindful pooping can do the same. The question is, what is it you want to achieve? Ragged panicky breathing is counter productive but hard breathing for hard effort? Seems reasonable.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Close your mouth if there are a lot of bugs flying around and just let the snot
go where it may.

·
Master debator.
8,816 Posts
I've never read anything about it specifically, but I consciously try to control my breathing when I'm climbing on the bike and also during longer running events. I try to find a rhythm with my pedal stroke and breathing, and I also try to relax my upper body.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Don't hold your breath when you get all excited just before and during an all-out effort. Sounds like stating the obvious, but you'd be surprised how many people stop breathing just before a strong acceleration and don't start again until they let up on the pedals.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Ian Jackson wrote a book around 1990 called Breath Play and coached using this technique.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Pulmonary physiology is one area of phys that I have paid the least amount of attention to overall.

But...an interesting note. A symposium at ACSM this week was discussing what is the 'cause' of respiration raate. It is interesting that the experts aren't 100% sure of the primary drive to breathe (but many/most of the inputs are 'textbook'). With that being said, it is a redundant system and it appears that differing metabolic conditions affect the system differently. Conditions that 'knock out' one mechanism often do not vastly change normal breathing patterns.

The work of the late Brian Whipp and his many graduate students have been examining this for a long time.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
What makes it crap? I've no background in this area so not sure what makes it crap or not.
To suggest that one should limit breathing through the nose when pushing performance limits is ridiculous. It simply does not happen.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I find simply monitoring your breathing makes a huge difference.

Many times I find my breathing short because the effort is taking all my attention so I start taking huge deep breaths through my stomach and it helps big time.
On climbs I also get into a rythm of steady deep breathing, I also try to do the same if I am racing especially crits as its pretty much flat out the entire time.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I think it really depends on how hard you are working at the time. I've been in a break where there was no way I was going to control my breathing. I was just trying to survive and literally could not slow my breathing. Conversely, if I'm coming to a sprint finish and the pace isn't insanely high, I do focus on deep breathing. It seems to help in the sprint, of course this is completely anecdotal.

·
δanned
7,006 Posts
I try to have a breathing rhythm only when climbing long hills, but I've found that concentrating too much on what is normally an involuntary action actually hinders me. I also think this goes for pedaling, too. People sometimes get so wrapped up in the technique that they're no longer having fun when riding their bike, and I think that serves to be more of a hindrance than anything.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.