Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mike T. said:
Sorry, I couldn't resist. Let atmospheric pressure fill the lungs not muscle energy. Just exhale forcefully and let nature do the rest.

When climbing I try to breath in rhythm to the pedal strokes -

"Out 1-2-3. In 1-2. Out 1-2-3. In 1-2".

I gives you something to concentrate on.
Hmm - did you miss Physiology 101 Mikey? Inspiration (lay term is inhalation) normally involves muscle action, Expiration is normally a passive=muscle relaxation phase. High output physiology is different, though, involving more voluntary muscle contraction in intercostals, etc. Perhaps you mean to say to limit your energy output on inspiration more than expiration - something I don't know much about, but Eddy B's book would probably support this proposition, along with the previously mentioned 'belly breathing'. Still, there is no air movement into the lungs by atmospheric pressure alone: the pressure differential is always a result of either muscle contraction, or muscle elasticity of the diaphragm during expiration only. :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mike T. said:
..........the 'Y' placed at the end of my name meant as some form of put-down? It sure felt like it, coming from someone so young.

I'll resist reciprocation.
I think your best quality is that you're young at heart, Mr. T. Sorry you took my sardony the wrong way - lost in translation and all. So, when are ya coming West? There's a nice 5,000 ft climb nearby waitin for you to put me to my deserved shame!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.