Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Roadbikereview member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your way of brewing your cup of joe before your ride? I use a French press, its quick and easy to use and clean up fast too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
two ways to pre-ride java

it depends...

if it's early, i quietly let my wife get up before me, so that she makes the coffee.

in not, i make espresso in a silly little white machine that sits on the counter.

that is, until i can afford a saeco.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Stovetop espresso

rfrancisco said:
What is your way of brewing your cup of joe before your ride? I use a French press, its quick and easy to use and clean up fast too.
Much cheaper than a big machine. Plus, with a camping burner (on a propane tank) you can take it camping or to races and make espresso in the parking lot!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Drip or Starbucks

If it's either way early when I'm heading out, or I have some time, I'll make some in a drip machine. I <strong>always</strong> grind my own beans, purchased from a <a href="http://www.lookoutjoe.com/" target="_blank">local shop</a>. They roast the beans on the premisis.

If I'm heading out and they're open (and the ride starts early-ish), I'll stop by Starbucks. There are literally 4 within a few miles of my house. I got their "Duetto" card (I get free coffee for using a credit card for other stuff), so I haven't actually paid for Starbucks in weeks.

·
Registered
804 Posts
roleur said:
until i can afford a saeco.
I bought my wife an espresso machine for Valentines Day and talk about sticker shock. The Saeco idea went out the window when I couldn't get into one for less than 800. I ended up getting her a stainless steel Starbucks Barista which still cost way more than I originally had planned on spending.

·
EuroCrash
478 Posts
Stovetop works well for me

but I don't drink a lot of coffee (maybe twice a week). It makes excellent coffee and is easy to use, store, take camping etc. However it is a little more hassle to clean which would probably annoy me if I had to use it everyday.

SS

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Wow!

Suddha said:
Espresso. My (other) Italian-made baby....

www.francisfrancis.com
What a site. Like Illy too, so much fashion and lifestyle revolves around a cup of coffee. Sorta like cyclists...

I have looked at many machines, and Saeco are the Treks of the world there. For solid build, serviceability: Rancilio.

·
Are you a nurse, Fokker?
81 Posts
mmmm. fresh ground. kept in the jar. oops; and i need to buy more....
if it's only for me, i use the french press. if the girlfriend is wanting some too (usually), we use the percolator. makes a good cup, which surprised me; i expected perco coffee to be nasty. it's pretty good. and the tupperware thing full of turkish coffee for when i really need a strong hit of go juice-it gets done on the stove, in a pan with sugar. yum!

hood river coffee company, ordered via web. or something from one of many local places.

no sugar, just a touch of cream, please!

·
LOOK lover
616 Posts
uh...

pull out a styrofoam cup from the tube, put it on the counter, pour coffee from the pot, add powdered creamer, stir with wooden stick, throw stick and creamer packets in trash, give 52 cents to the pimple-faced 18-year old behind the counter.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
It's a drug, not a beverage for me.

I also find the percolator a fine way to make 6 or 8 cups of coffee. For single cups the pour over with a gold filter is better. Freshly ground beans are nice, too. The process is fun and getting the smell first adds to the experience.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How do you make the coffee on the stove?

scrublover said:
mmmm. fresh ground. kept in the jar. oops; and i need to buy more....
if it's only for me, i use the french press. if the girlfriend is wanting some too (usually), we use the percolator. makes a good cup, which surprised me; i expected perco coffee to be nasty. it's pretty good. and the tupperware thing full of turkish coffee for when i really need a strong hit of go juice-it gets done on the stove, in a pan with sugar. yum!

hood river coffee company, ordered via web. or something from one of many local places.

no sugar, just a touch of cream, please!

I absolutely love coffee...I've never tried making it on the stove, as you say. Can you shed some light on this for me?

Thanks!

KRider

·
Are you a nurse, Fokker?
81 Posts
yep. if i set it to going, then hop in the shower.....the smell of it freshly brewed when i get out is wonderful!

i'm addicted, and have no qualms about admitting so! i'd inject it if i could.....

·
Formerly JL
155 Posts

Cuisinart Grind and Brew. Set the timer and it's ready when I go downstairs in the morning. When I remember to set it up, anyway.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
Try the Solis Master

divve said:
Saeco Vienna $399....I'm not really a coffee expert but it looks like the thing does it all?

http://www.1stincoffee.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=152305

The Solis Master series can be had for $400-500. They have a solid built-in
adjustable grinder and great pump. I use Solis grinders and I think that they
are great for the intermediate coffee afficionados.

I roast my own beans now, and I can't be happier. Much cheaper and better
quality than the overroasted beans that you usually find in the US.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
depends on time

if i wakeup like planned, with enough time for a couple cups, i'll use the mr. coffee or whatever we have at home--the $30 coffee maker of the year. had a braun that lasted about seven years. nothing good since. but i'm pretty close to changing my ways--and drinking real roast. considering a nice grinder and (separate) maker, plus a french press. right now it's all ground, folger's or maxwell house.

if time is short, i'll make a small, strong triple espresso--braun espresso/cap maker, received as wedding present in 1996.

i could spend a thousand bucks on bean stuff, but would rather blow it on bike crap.

·
Ethical Nihilist
1,068 Posts
Java.

rfrancisco said:
Grind and drip. It's not a beverage. It's not a drug. It's a religion, just as cycling is. I'm not familiar with the French press. Like to hear more about it.

·
Gruntled
3,737 Posts
Let me hear you say "Amen"!

macalu said:
It's not a beverage. It's not a drug. It's a religion...
All vital energy in the universe comes from a single source: the coffee bean.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Some advice

J's Haiku Shop said:
if i wakeup like planned, with enough time for a couple cups, i'll use the mr. coffee or whatever we have at home--the $30 coffee maker of the year. had a braun that lasted about seven years. nothing good since. but i'm pretty close to changing my ways--and drinking real roast. considering a nice grinder and (separate) maker, plus a french press. right now it's all ground, folger's or maxwell house.

if time is short, i'll make a small, strong triple espresso--braun espresso/cap maker, received as wedding present in 1996.

i could spend a thousand bucks on bean stuff, but would rather blow it on bike crap.
Make sure you get a good burr grinder, preferably one that drops straight down rather than shooting the ground coffee out at right angles. It's a pain cleaning some of the poorly designed grinders. If you want drip, get one with a thermal carafe. No hot plates, please! I like Capresso. Most importantly, you need to roast your own beans. You get better tasting coffee, more selection, cheaper and another hobby! Really, it only takes a few minutes to roast beans. Check out this site for alot of good info. http://www.sweetmarias.com/ I buy all my beans here.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts