Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the supermarket the other night intending to buy some ice cream. I have not bought ice cream in years cause of the usual reasons - only two of us in the house, it's a caloric disaster if we both dig into the bucket, etc...

Thing is the other day in PO (of all places) a discussion came up over ice cream and it seems a fair number of posters liked Breyers. I decided to give it a try.

Okay so I get to the freezer section and there are the Breyers boxes. I want to get vanilla as I figure it's a good flavor to start with but lo and behold, there's about 5 different types of Breyers vanilla.

There was:

Breyers All Natural Vanilla
Breyers All Natural Homemade Vanilla
Breyers All Natural Calcium Rich Vanilla
Breyers All Natural Extra Creamy Vanilla
Breyers French Vanilla

WTF? :confused:

I was so confused my brain seized up and I kept going, wandering down the aisle in a numbed state, mumbling incoherently to myself. What should I get?

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
Breyers Butter Almond.

That stuff is herion for an ice cream addict like me.

I prefer just the regular Vanilla (All Natural Vanilla), and Breyers has by far the best Vanilla in a box.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Breyer's used to be a lot better

at some point (probably 14 or more years ago) Breyers started pumping serious air into their ice cream. If you were to weigh a 1/2 gallon of vanilla from 25 years ago and one from today I wouldn't be surprised if the one from today weighs 30% less (or more). I remember once getting some breyers chocolate chip that had a chunk of chocolate 3" X2" X2" in it. That didn't suck. At any rate go with one of the breyer's that has the vanilla bean specs.

If you want some really good vanilla and can get Graeter's, that's the bomb diggity. Just had some a couple days ago.

My guess is that Breyers got bought up by someone and to increase profits they pumped it full of air.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Skip the Breyers. Get BlueBell.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
il sogno said:
Bluebell? What's Bluebell? Is it widely available? In California?
I dunno. I always had it growing up in the southeast. It's made in Brenham, TX (not far from A&M). We toured the factory a few times when I still lived there. And there really is a cow named Blue Bell. :)

http://www.bluebell.com/Default.htm

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Wow. I never thought that buying ice cream could be so complicated. I agree...WTF?

My brother and I each downed a pint of Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Swiss Almond while at the Grand Canyon on Saturday. I hadn't eaten any in years due to the high fat content. Man was that stuff good. I probably downed about 40 grams of saturated fat in one sitting. Oh well...I won't do it again. why can't vegetables taste like that?

·
Super Moderator
19,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bigrider said:
Sogno,

Don't listen to them about any other Vanilla ice cream other than Breyers.

They are all ice cream infidels. Heretics. Members of the axis of ice cream evil.
You're right, Big. Must stay the course...

Must not be....distracted by.... axis ... of ....ice cream....evil...
Heretics.....evildoers.....temptations abound!
must....stay ......the course....

Breyers.....vanilla......
Breyers.....vanilla!!!

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
Sogno,

They are all ice cream infidels. Heretics. Members of the axis of ice cream evil.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,748 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
I remember once getting some breyers chocolate chip that had a chunk of chocolate 3" X2" X2" in it.
Yuck! That makes me think of Græter's, actually. I hate buying any of their ice cream with chocolate chunks...you end up with more chocolate than anything. I'm talking hunks a good two inches long, stuck in a cone. Sheesh. If I had wanted a candy bar, I would have bought one!

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
il sogno said:
WTF? :confused:

I was so confused my brain seized up and I kept going, wandering down the aisle in a numbed state, mumbling incoherently to myself. What should I get?
You should have skipped the freezer section altogether and headed for the wine aisle. Better yet, you could have avoided the supermarket altogether and gone to Vendome.

·
Super Moderator
19,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mickey-mac said:
You should have skipped the freezer section altogether and headed for the wine aisle. Better yet, you could have avoided the supermarket altogether and gone to Vendome.
shhh, don't tell anyone but lately i've been buying my wine from an italian importer in santa monica. they sell this stuff you've never heard of for about half of what you would pay retail.

and the old man there - he always recommends stuff that's sinfully good. last time i was there he pulls me over and pushes a bottle of sparkling italian red wine in my grubby little mitts. "try this", he says. "just-a put in the refrigerator for a bit-a before you-a drink it. i guarantee you will-a like it".

and then there are the italian cookies. another time when i was there, the old man came out from the back room and he says to me "have-a you tried-a this-a yet-a?" and opens up a package of chocolate cookies, each one filled with chocolate filling. my hands were quivering with anticipation as i reached for that little brown island of delight. i tasted it and man, was it good! i buy two packages of cookies plus about a 7-8 bottles of wine. all for less than $80.

for now I'm working on vanilla ice cream, Mickey. vanilla ice cream - something I can sprinkle some of the chocolate filled cookies over. Or maybe pour some espresso over for as in an "affogatto". Mmmm! :p

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
bigrider said:
Sogno,

Ben and Jerrys can Jihad all over Breyers.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
I'm telling you, bluebell homemade vanilla.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
You don't know what you're missing.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
il sogno said:
Aargh! Bigrider, help me!
Heretic! Infidel! Jihadist! .......Sporker! :eek:
Sporker is one I can live with. And that's okay, you avoid the bluebell and that leaves more for me. :D

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
il sogno said:
Hmmm, you think I can mail order it?
Yeah actually you can from the website. It's really expensive that way, though. I think they must ship it dry ice or something. It says $89 for 4 half gallons (any flavor you want).

If you find it in the store it's cheaper than Bryers.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts