Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone toyed with the idea of making Shimano's older brifters (Pre 10-speed) more ergo? I'm talking about shaving off that top "bump" on the hood to make it similar to the new style. I don't want to upgrade right now to a new set, yet I do like the feel of the new ergo hoods.

Is there anything under that bump, and can this be done? I was thinking that if that bulge was at least a bit flatter, It would be more comfortable to me. I just want more comfort on my hands when on the hoods. Am I crazy? I was thinking of testing this on an old set laying around.

· Registered
665 Posts
Whats a "brifter"?

I don't know why but I really dislike that word. I know it's a generic term but in this case it's used in place of "STI lever"
If you have a spare set (of STI levers) I say give it a try and report back.I don't use Shimano so I don't know what they are made of but do you think you will be able to get an acceptable finish?

· duh...
9,749 Posts
Picshooter said:
I don't know why but I really dislike that word. I know it's a generic term but in this case it's used in place of "STI lever"
If you have a spare set (of STI levers) I say give it a try and report back.I don't use Shimano so I don't know what they are made of but do you think you will be able to get an acceptable finish?

I HATE that genericated term, think it's one of the dumbest in cycling. You could just call a spade a spade (or STIs or Ergoshifters) and everyone will know exactly what you are talking about... instead, you gotta say Shimano brifters or Campy brifters for complete clarity. Of course that will change if/when SRAM Force/Doubletap ever gets popular.

· Registered
1,939 Posts
I actually like the word "Brifter". It's a clever way of putting brake and shifter together. I'm annoyed by manufacture's trademark words or phrases for the same old crap.

There was a story in '03 about Mayo modifying his BRIFTER to eliminate the low point between the bar and the "bump". He put aditional layers of material under the hood.

You can't shave anything off the top of the "bump". There's mechanical stuff under there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.