Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple years ago I signed up for the Brim Brother's power meter newsletter because a power meter that is purely on your shoes sounded great. Delay after delay after delay (and some claims of we're shipping next month!) I received this email just now.

When you added your name to our pre-order list for a Zone DPMX power meter we promised that you would be offered an opportunity to be among the first to get a Zone. That time has arrived! We are moving into production, and we will deliver our first power meters in May this year. You and many others on our pre-order list have patiently supported and encouraged us as we created the technology for the world's first wearable power meter, so as a 'thank you' we are sending this advance information only to you.

We will open for sales next Thurday 11th February, for shipping to USA, Canada, EU, Australia and New Zealand. Quantities for delivery in May will be limited so you will have to move quickly if you want to be one of the first to receive a Zone DPMX power meter. I will send you another email on Wednesday with full details on how to purchase. Initially, we will send that information only to you and others on the pre-order list to give you priority, but sales will open to others a few hours after launch.

I also want you to be the first to know that we will be offering a single sided version of the power meter, the Zone DPMX Single, with power measurement only on your left shoe. This is in addition to the full two sided Zone DPMX Dual. The new Single version will allow you to try out the Zone DPMX system at an affordable price with the possibility of upgrading to a full two sided system in the future. List prices will be €880 (about $990) for the Zone DPMX Dual, and €440 (about $495) for the Zone DPMX Single, but there will be special prices available for the first block of purchasers. Details next Thursday!

As part of this step forward we will be launching a new website. It won't become public until we open for sales on Wednesday, but as another 'thank you' for your support I want to give you a private preview of the new website. New information there includes details of the Zone DPMX Single, and new videos showing the Zone DPMX in use. Your link and password to the new website is below - please keep this password confidential!

Brim Brothers
Password: z0n3-DPMX

Thanks again for your patience as we worked to create and perfect the Zone DPMX. Your support really did help.

Regards
Barry Redmond
Looks like 440/880 EURO for the left/dual sided power meter. Still seems to be Speedplay only. I'm looking forward to the DCRainMaker full review in a few months I suppose.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
VeloNews article just dropped.

Brim Brothers launches $440 wearable power meter - VeloNews.com

One bit I found interesting

The Zone cleat houses piezoceramic sensors, a more advanced version of the stuff that causes a spark in some gas lighters. When compressed or stretched, they create a current. That current can be translated into force.

The sensors are not strain gauges, as found in many power meters. Brim says they can be more accurate than strain gauges, since they are less affected by temperature swings. They’re also highly durable, a necessity, given where Brim has chosen to position them.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Well, it is a different mouse trap. Better? For some maybe.

Given this is currently designed only for Speedplay pedals the market is greatly narrowed. Housing on top of shoe is goofy looking.

Looks to be a lack of interest or excitement on this site.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks to be a lack of interest or excitement on this site.
Yeah this was a lot more interesting when the only options previously were SRM, Quarq, PowerTap (hub only), and Power2Max. Now the market has been flooded. Maybe if they can compete on other metrics like Garmin or Pioneer have done they can find a market.

Ummm...pass.
Thanks for your exciting input on this thread!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
As a speedplay zero user who is considering a Stages or Pioneer single sided PM (just for giggles), this alternative intrigues me.

Definitely something I'll keep an eye on.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
Speedplay user...I'm definitely interested...although I have a feeling US pricing will be as usual much higher.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Speedplay user...I'm definitely interested...although I have a feeling US pricing will be as usual much higher.
The pricing seems to be a direct conversion from Euro/GBP to USD.

I just received another email stating that they are handling the early bird pre-orders for 11% off via Kickstarter. I find this very odd because this is supposed to be a finished product and Kickstarter takes 5%. Something fishy might be going on.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I'd hate to buy and find out toe covers render it useless. I'm not a power meter guy but if I was I'd definitely verify this would still work with toe covers before buying it unless you lived in a warm climate.

I don't generally care about pedal stack height like some company marketing tells me I should care about, but these look like they may go a little to far on adding stack height (tough to tell though, not sure).

What if someones pedal stroke was bad and they put a lot of pressure on the pedals at 6 oclock and/or didn't unweight on the upstroke? I'd think that would register as power but it really isn't as far as power that makes it to the back wheel goes. Not sure how that works with these things but I couldn't want to measure any power that isn't getting to the back wheel.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't generally care about pedal stack height like some company marketing tells me I should care about, but these look like they may go a little to far on adding stack height (tough to tell though, not sure).
It replaces the 3 to 4 hole adapter that Speedplay gives you with their cleats, so I assume the stack height would be the same. The only way that you can reduce the stack height is to get these 4 hole Speedplay specific shoes.

What if someones pedal stroke was bad and they put a lot of pressure on the pedals at 6 oclock and/or didn't unweight on the upstroke? I'd think that would register as power but it really isn't as far as power that makes it to the back wheel goes. Not sure how that works with these things but I couldn't want to measure any power that isn't getting to the back wheel.
I think this is why there were so many delays in making this. I imagine Garmin had to get around the same problem with the Vector pedals as well.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I think this is why there were so many delays in making this. I imagine Garmin had to get around the same problem with the Vector pedals as well.
Another thing would be pulling up. I can see how garmin style might deal with it but not these things. We all know that pulling up is no way to ride but the fact is you can get some power from it so it should be recorded as such. Looking at this design, I don't see how they could possibly register that or any power generated between 6 and 12 o'clock.

And I wonder if garmin really did deal with it. I have no idea but my friend who has them wonders too as he says he gets some weird data compared to his wheel based. I know that could mean anything though.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does anyone know if this power meter will work with Giro Empire shoes?

Thank in advanced!
No. The Brim Brothers are known haters of laced-based shoes. They have programmed the power meter to specifically provide incorrect data if the Giro Empire shoes are used.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Looks like it's a pretty cool product. Nice that is measures left and right output separately. So this only works with Speedplay at this time?

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have to say that this looks pretty awesome. I'm a Speedplay user with multiple bikes and this would work brilliantly. The price seems great as well.

·
Registered
180 Posts
A couple years ago I signed up for the Brim Brother's power meter newsletter because a power meter that is purely on your shoes sounded great. Delay after delay after delay (and some claims of we're shipping next month!) I received this email just now.

Looks like 440/880 EURO for the left/dual sided power meter. Still seems to be Speedplay only. I'm looking forward to the DCRainMaker full review in a few months I suppose.
Yeah, right.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts