Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a brand shpankin' new cross bike that I'm quite anxious to ride. The whole purpose of getting this bike is to get in some early season road training (for m-bike racing) and maybe some cross races in the fall. Anyway, in this part of Canada we use a lot of salt on the roads, and with snow melting you and your bike are going to get wet while riding on the roads - no biggie, except there is still a lot of salt in the runoff. Will a simple light wash after every ride prevent salt from destroying my new steed.

Thanks,

R

·
Registered
65 Posts
rpmrob said:
I just got a brand shpankin' new cross bike that I'm quite anxious to ride. The whole purpose of getting this bike is to get in some early season road training (for m-bike racing) and maybe some cross races in the fall. Anyway, in this part of Canada we use a lot of salt on the roads, and with snow melting you and your bike are going to get wet while riding on the roads - no biggie, except there is still a lot of salt in the runoff. Will a simple light wash after every ride prevent salt from destroying my new steed.

Thanks,

R
I've been riding steel in the "rust belt" for years and there are a number of things you can do to stop Mr. FE3.

Use a frame saver spray like JP Wiegle's(sp?)
Fenders. (don't laugh they work)
After you give your bike a light wash down, towel dry and wipe down with an oilly rag
Paint still does not entirely seal the frame so it is also important with steel frames to wax them or use some of pedros bike lust periodicaly.
Every so often blow out your bike with compressed air, esp after a wet season.

Most of all don't let a little salt keep from riding you bike. ;)

e

1 - 2 of 2 Posts