Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I'm new to the board and want to throw out a few ideas for comment on refinishing my old Pinarello. Before I do though, here's the long story of how I came to own my Pinarello... Back in mid-80's I started training and racing bikes when I was in college. Being a typical student I had little free money to support the habit. My first road race bike was a FAGGIN, that's pronounced "fah-jean", but as you might expect, all my team mates would say "****-in" and alot of other things I wont mention... Anyway, at the third race of the '87 college season some Fred in the front of the field decided to lock up his brakes going into a turn and set off a chain reaction event. I found myself at the bottom of a 15+ bike pile up with plenty of road rash. After I untangled myself from the mess of wheels, bikes and fellow riders who were all equally dazed, I realized the fork on my Faggin was folded back to the down tube, the front wheel was pretzeled and the top tub had a hideous buckle behind the head tube. In short, my bike was wasted. The following week I went to the LBS that sponsored our team and wined and cried about needed a new frame before the next race, oh and I needed a deal as I was a broke student.... The LBS owner made a few calls to his distributors to see what he could get. A while later he got a call back after the distributor searched his inventory and yah, I think I can help you... The good news: He had a 55cm Pinarello Montello made with Columbus SLX tubing that he would sell cheap. I got totally fired up. I always wanted a Pinarello ever since I saw Alexi Grewall win the Olympic road race at the '84 games in LA. Now the bad news, the reason for the deal on the frame was because it was an odd ball non-catalog color that was sent over for a bike show or some such story.... The frame color was officially "Pearlescent Peach" with blue decals I was told. I said fine, I'll take it, it's a Pinarello, I don't care what color...
A few days later the frame arrives at the shop, I cut class that afternoon to go down and get it built up. The LBS owner was an awesome guy, he let me use his shop, tools and the assistance of his main mechanic for no charge to help me get back on the road and ready for the next race. So, the "Pearlescent Peach" color frame actually looked more like a "pearl pink" color.... So I went from riding a "****-in" to a pink bike... My team mates and riding friends still had fuel for training ride jokes that was difficult to live down....
Fast forward 22 years, I still have the pink Pinarello, I still ride, I've had several road bikes since then, but could never part with my college bike that I put thousands of miles on. The pearl clear coat and decals have flaked off and faded so now the bike looks more orange, but all in all it's still a sound frame. It's been hanging on the wall in my garage for the last 8 years.
Now it's time for action. I've decided it's time to go for a new project and refinish the frame and either use it with the Dura-Ace seven speed set up it has on it now with the down-tube shifters, or possibly convert the drive train to use it as a single speed. I leaning on the single speed idea, but I don't think I chop the shift bosses or the derailleur hanger to keep the frame in original shape. I have a set of Pinnarello frame decals I found in a shop in the UK 15 years ago. The decals are not exactly the same as those on the frame, but should be good enough as the decals are hard to source. I'm ditching the pink and going with a metallic blue color as the decals are white and trimming the cables, saddle and bar tape in white to match.
The group on the bike is mostly Dura-Ace 7401, 32 spoke mavic open 4 CD wheels on mavic 550 hubs, campy chorus seat post, turbo saddle with Cinelli bars and stem. I have a second wheel set with specialized sealed hubs with good old mavic MA-40 rims (36 spoke). All of it will be cleaned and polished by the time I'm done.
Here are a few pictures of the bike as it is now. I'll be sure to take photo's and update the progress as I go along with the project.

View attachment 179736

View attachment 179737

View attachment 179738

View attachment 179739

View attachment 179745

View attachment 179746

View attachment 179747

View attachment 179740

View attachment 179741

View attachment 179742

If anyone has any comments or suggestions on refinishing, do's and or don'ts, please comment.
Thanks

·
Registered
525 Posts
Nice Pinarello Montello...

cyclist51 said:
Fast forward 22 years, I still have the pink Pinarello, I still ride, I've had several road bikes since then, but could never part with my college bike that I put thousands of miles on. The pearl clear coat and decals have flaked off and faded so now the bike looks more orange, but all in all it's still a sound frame. It's been hanging on the wall in my garage for the last 8 years.
Now it's time for action. I've decided it's time to go for a new project and refinish the frame and either use it with the Dura-Ace seven speed set up it has on it now with the down-tube shifters, or possibly convert the drive train to use it as a single speed. I leaning on the single speed idea, but I don't think I chop the shift bosses or the derailleur hanger to keep the frame in original shape. I have a set of Pinnarello frame decals I found in a shop in the UK 15 years ago. The decals are not exactly the same as those on the frame, but should be good enough as the decals are hard to source. I'm ditching the pink and going with a metallic blue color as the decals are white and trimming the cables, saddle and bar tape in white to match.
The group on the bike is mostly Dura-Ace 7401, 32 spoke mavic open 4 CD wheels on mavic 550 hubs, campy chorus seat post, turbo saddle with Cinelli bars and stem. I have a second wheel set with specialized sealed hubs with good old mavic MA-40 rims (36 spoke). All of it will be cleaned and polished by the time I'm done.
Here are a few pictures of the bike as it is now. I'll be sure to take photo's and update the progress as I go along with the project.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions on refinishing, do's and or don'ts, please comment.
Thanks
Like you, I still have my bike that I purchased in the mid 1980s, a Miyata PRO. Also like you, I have an '80s Pinarello Montello (Chromonero color) that I am in the process of building up. :)

If it were my bike, I would give a nice paint job but I'd probably not use those decals you have pictured. They might be brittle after all these years. There is a seller on eBay that will sell you the exact decals your bike needs and they are not that expensive. I'd rather be safe than sorry. I don't have the name of the seller but I am sure someone on this forum can chime in with it. I bought a set just in case I decide to have my frame painted. Right now I am sticking with the original paint as it is in decent condition but these Pinarellos are known to have a delicate finish and I might have to go that route some time in the future. Like you again, I'll be going with a metallic blue too! :thumbsup:

I am sure it would make a nice single speed but don't remove anything on the frame just in case you decide later to convert back to a road bike. I've seem too many of these beautiful old frames destroyed because someone wanted a single speed. I'd also hang on to those Dura Ace parts as well. My bike originally was built up with the same components as yours but I decided to change over to a Campy C-Record group that I had laying around just to have something different. I have more than a few bikes with vintage Dura Ace EX, AX and 7400. I should have mine finished up around Thanksgiving and I'll post pictures of it along two early 1980s Miyata TEAMs that I am working on.

Best of luck and post pictures of the finished project.

James D.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
cyclist51 said:
Hi All,
I'm new to the board and want to throw out a few ideas for comment on refinishing my old Pinarello. Before I do though, here's the long story of how I came to own my Pinarello... Back in mid-80's I started training and racing bikes when I was in college. Being a typical student I had little free money to support the habit. My first road race bike was a FAGGIN, that's pronounced "fah-jean", but as you might expect, all my team mates would say "****-in" and alot of other things I wont mention... Anyway, at the third race of the '87 college season some Fred in the front of the field decided to lock up his brakes going into a turn and set off a chain reaction event. I found myself at the bottom of a 15+ bike pile up with plenty of road rash. After I untangled myself from the mess of wheels, bikes and fellow riders who were all equally dazed, I realized the fork on my Faggin was folded back to the down tube, the front wheel was pretzeled and the top tub had a hideous buckle behind the head tube. In short, my bike was wasted. The following week I went to the LBS that sponsored our team and wined and cried about needed a new frame before the next race, oh and I needed a deal as I was a broke student.... The LBS owner made a few calls to his distributors to see what he could get. A while later he got a call back after the distributor searched his inventory and yah, I think I can help you... The good news: He had a 55cm Pinarello Montello made with Columbus SLX tubing that he would sell cheap. I got totally fired up. I always wanted a Pinarello ever since I saw Alexi Grewall win the Olympic road race at the '84 games in LA. Now the bad news, the reason for the deal on the frame was because it was an odd ball non-catalog color that was sent over for a bike show or some such story.... The frame color was officially "Pearlescent Peach" with blue decals I was told. I said fine, I'll take it, it's a Pinarello, I don't care what color...
A few days later the frame arrives at the shop, I cut class that afternoon to go down and get it built up. The LBS owner was an awesome guy, he let me use his shop, tools and the assistance of his main mechanic for no charge to help me get back on the road and ready for the next race. So, the "Pearlescent Peach" color frame actually looked more like a "pearl pink" color.... So I went from riding a "****-in" to a pink bike... My team mates and riding friends still had fuel for training ride jokes that was difficult to live down....

Thanks
All you need to know.....
http://www.joesbicyclepainting.com/

·
noble dirtbag
98 Posts
a few suggestions...

I think you can paint the bike yourself. I redid my Ciocc and it turned out pretty good overall. The graphics may be available from an Ebay seller in Australia who will ship them air mail to you. Takes about a week. I think his store is call Cyclomundo. There is also a thread on the forum which gives pretty good directions for painting. Do a search for How to: Prepare an old Cannondale frame for fixed gear conversion. I followed a lot of his suggestions and even though it took almost 2 months to complete the job I think it was worth it. Please let me know if you want anymore advice.

Here's a before and after pic....

·
Banned
634 Posts
I was on vacation once in Colorado riding my Pinarello Treviso chugging along towards Jamestown when a CoorsLight clad rider approached going the other way..I pointed to the "Campione Olimpico" sticker on my frame as he went by.. He grinned.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,299 Posts
Why not buck the trend, or start a new trend, by not restoring it. Leave it looking properly aged, like an old Fender Strat. According to my motorcycling buddy, the unrestored look is beginning to catch fire among the motorized crowd. Be the first on your block! In your state!

Great bike, by the way. As classic as they come.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I agree with keeping it original...

that guy again said:
The original paint/graphics look 1,000 times cooler than a "boring" new paint job. Each scrape tells a story!
I tend to keep my bikes original unless they are completely trashed. I collect US issued military watches and cosmetic restoration of them in the field is looked down upon unless the watch is completely trashed and even then, some feel the wear and tear or "Wabi" is a part of that watch's history. However, in this case we are not talking about a historically significant or rare bicycle. If it was, I personally wouldn't touch the finish and leave as is. These bikes are made to be ridden not worshipped by hanging on a wall in someone's house or garage. So, I say paint it so that you are satisfied whether that means a professional paint job or one you can do yourself. The more you are satisfied with your bike, the better the odds that you will spend time on it. After all, isn't that what this is all about?

From the pictures, it looks like the color is still good if not a little faded. I wonder if new decals can be applied and then a clear coat. Of course if the issue is the current color, then the point is moot. Best of luck with whatever you do decide. I am keeping mine original for the time being but if the finish begins to degrade over time, I will not hesitate to strip it and start over, blue of course.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
smallmig said:
I think you can paint the bike yourself. I redid my Ciocc and it turned out pretty good overall. The graphics may be available from an Ebay seller in Australia who will ship them air mail to you. Takes about a week. I think his store is call Cyclomundo. There is also a thread on the forum which gives pretty good directions for painting. Do a search for How to: Prepare an old Cannondale frame for fixed gear conversion. I followed a lot of his suggestions and even though it took almost 2 months to complete the job I think it was worth it. Please let me know if you want anymore advice.

Here's a before and after pic....
Thats the same bike? I know the fork looks to be swapped. Am I correct?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update - frame repaint complete and my bike rolls once again

Just an update here on my post from last october - The repaint on my old Pinarello is complete and I built it back up as a single speed for now to enjoy ride during my lunch hour from the office.
-Cyclist51

Here's a picture of my pinarello brought back to life:
View attachment 194779

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
paint color, painting, etc

I was going to paint the bike myself, but after looking into trying to buy automotive paint, buying an airbrush, etc, the cost out weighed a local frame paint shop. I did most of the clean up and prep as well as hand painting the white detail and pin stripes.
Color - the paint shop had this killer custom mixed "candy blue" left over from another job, so they gave me a deal on it.
Decals - I had a sheet of Pinarello wet-transfer decals that I found many years ago in a bike shop while on vacation in the UK. They used the decals to scan and create modern ones.
I used Joe's Bicycle Painting as they are only 30 minutes drive from where I live ( http://www.joesbicyclepainting.com/ ). They came recommended by a friend of mine, they did a good paint job, but I was a little disappointed in their detail work, the amount of time it took to do the job (2 months) and they were very flaky when trying to contact them for status on the job. Also - they lost / misplaced my original deal sheet, so I have yet to get it back.
I built the bike back up with the original shimano Dura-Ace 7401 group that I cleaned up. I used short chainring bolts and the 42T inner chainring + 16T single speed freewheel. I had a hard time finding white brake cable housing, not many shops have it I discovered. However one old school LBS not only had white cable housing, but they also had a new-in-the-bag shimano 7401 replacement brake hoods to replace the crusty old ones on my brake levers - that was total good luck as I'd be searching over craigs list and ebay looking for them for months.
-Cyclist51

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Very Nice!

Lets see some close-ups. I'm sad to hear that Joe's didn't live up to expectations. I had them do my old LOOK frame a few years back and they did a great job.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.