Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a large cup of coffee over $2, I've been looking for a way to reliably bring a thermos of hot java with me from home. I ride 18+ miles to work in the morning and am looking for something that will fit in my second water bottle holder. I haven't found a thermos yet that does it all - fit correctly in my cage AND keep the coffee hot or vice versa. What have others successfully tried?

· I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
Um.. just get a nice Stanley green thermos.. I use mine daily and it holds half a pot.. I drink the other half in the morning before and during my drive to work. You could stuff it in a messenger bag.

I don't believe you'll find anything of decent volume that will work with your bike.

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
bauerb said:
umm, how about a 10 dollar mr coffee from walmart and leave it at work?
That's what I did, sans Wal Mart.

· n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
I strap a 32 oz thermos of coffee to my rack every day. Holds a 10 cup pot of coffee. You won't find anything over 16-20 oz that will keep your coffee hot and fit in a cage. I'm a coffee snob and the coffee they brew at work is not to my liking. The pot won't brew at the proper temperature even if I wanted to bring my own coffee. I'm too cheap to pony up for a decent coffee maker and grinder of my own at work when it's so easy to just brew at home where I've got a good grinder and coffee maker. It's just too easy to put it in a thermos and have great coffee at work.

· Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm a one large coffee in the morning guy. Making coffee at work is too much work/mess and putting the thermos in my bag begs for enevitable leaks - hence the pursuit of the 20oz cage compatible thermos. Thanks, Becky, for the lead.

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Make it at work. get a little French Press or some other type of coffee thingy. I don't drink coffee, but my wife recently started doing "the bean", and uses some coffee pot/press. She heats the water in the microwave and pours it into the pot, then squishes the lid down. Whatever, she seems to like it, and it would work well in an office.

· Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts

· n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Well, you got me wondering myself so I measured. I filled my thermos with water and then poured it into a 1 quart measuring cup. It was exactly 1 quart. I then filled our coffee maker and poured it into the 1 quart measuring cup. It was 36 oz., maybe a hair over. Where does 4 oz. go from the coffee maker water reservoir to my thermos? Steam? Held in the grounds??? And still, 36 oz. is a 3.6 oz. cup for our ten cup maker. I think almost every coffee maker is different in what it considers a "cup".

· n00bsauce
13,627 Posts

· n00bsauce
13,627 Posts

· Registered
1,253 Posts
robdamanii said:
My girlfriend got me one of these for christmas. I love the thing to death: keeps things hot forever and seals stupidly well, but it's bloody hard to clean.
Yeah, that occurred to me when I bought it, especially the lid. Any suggestions on cleaning methods?

· Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts
Becky said:
Yeah, that occurred to me when I bought it, especially the lid. Any suggestions on cleaning methods?
The yellow button and it's surrounding "gear shaped" grey housing unscrew and can be pulled out. That makes cleaning the mechanism much easier.

I've taken to just soaking it in hot water and trying to clean it with a brush. It seems to work ok.

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
+2...what's wrong with Mr. Coffee?
Shouldn't is be "Señor Café" down there in Tejas?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.