Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a ten-speed bike, with Sach-Huret shifters, and is a "Tourney". His brother owns a Brittany. Both guys got these from some uncles who used to ride, and, my guess, either quit, or upgraded. I have some pics, but the quality is poor, as my BIL used his cell phone cam for these.

I would appreciate any info you can offer, or any links you suggest.

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
That Free Spirit appears to be a model sold through Sears in the 1970s (or maybe early 80s). I HIGHLY doubt that it will ever be worth any money, and it is not at the same quality level as contemporary bikes available through bicycle shops, but it could be a fun project none-the-less.

You could try posting a question on:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bicycle_Restoration

I think I remember some Free Spirit discussions on that forum.

Yours,

FBB

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, we both know it's not worth much, but he is trying to get it back in shape to possible use it as a commuter. He is a med student/intern, and doesn't have much to spend on gas, so I think it would be a good move for him.

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
slowmo1 said:
Yeah, we both know it's not worth much, but he is trying to get it back in shape to possible use it as a commuter. He is a med student/intern, and doesn't have much to spend on gas, so I think it would be a good move for him.
It certainly would have a lot more character than some $100 bike from Walmart. I say go for it!

- FBB

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Man, I bought a brand new "Free Spirit" from Sears back in '82. The bike was shiney black and I loved it. Had it two months and some low life scumbag stole it off my front porch. To this day I think about it, and it's almost like a loving member of my family vanishing 24 years ago. The bike was beautiful.

· Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
slowmo1 said:
This is a ten-speed bike, with Sach-Huret shifters, and is a "Tourney". His brother owns a Brittany. Both guys got these from some uncles who used to ride, and, my guess, either quit, or upgraded. I have some pics, but the quality is poor, as my BIL used his cell phone cam for these.

I would appreciate any info you can offer, or any links you suggest.
This is a dirt-cheap Sears bike from the late 70's to early 80's. Sachs-Huret was the cheapest derailleur you could buy back then, and worked rather poorly. The frame is cheap and heavy straight-gauge seamed tubing, and it weighs a ton. Frankly, you can find bikes like this for $10 any day at any ghetto Salvation Army store. Neither bike is worth much more than the value of the scrap metal.

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Dave_Stohler said:
This is a dirt-cheap Sears bike from the late 70's to early 80's. Sachs-Huret was the cheapest derailleur you could buy back then, and worked rather poorly. The frame is cheap and heavy straight-gauge seamed tubing, and it weighs a ton. Frankly, you can find bikes like this for $10 any day at any ghetto Salvation Army store. Neither bike is worth much more than the value of the scrap metal.
Mr. Stohler seems to delight in telling people that their cheap, old bikes are... well... old and cheap. I'm not sure why he needs to express these sentiments in such harsh terms.

The Free Spirit will never work as well as a Campy-equipped Masi. Heck, it will never work as well as a cheap Univega from the same time period. But there is a certain satisfaction one derives from taking a cheap old Murray, Free Spirit, or Raleigh mixte and getting it working as well as possible. And you know what? When you are done, you've got a bicycle that goes forward when you push on the pedals and slows down (at least a little) when you pull on the brakes, and you got the chance to create something that works from a pile of "scrap metal," and you got to use your creativity in solving problems, and you get to feel proud of what you accomplished. All of these are good things.

Projects like this are fun. Remember fun? It's how you felt when you were 8 years old, riding that poorly-assembled Huffy BMX bike with the wind in your hair and the big ole jumps you made squarely in your sights. Fun is how you felt when you and your highschool sweetheart jumped on your Free Spirit 10 speeds with a picnic lunch in your baskets and rode 10 miles to the pond for an afternoon of picnicking and other delights. Fun is fun, and it can be had fixing and riding an old junker you pulled out of the dumpster or a pristine Baylis you just spents thousands of dollars restoring.

So fix that Free Spirit and have fun doing it.

Climbing down from my soapbox,

FBB

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
fbagatelleblack said:
Mr. Stohler seems to delight in telling people that their cheap, old bikes are... well... old and cheap. I'm not sure why he needs to express these sentiments in such harsh terms.

Yeah well, some people are like that y'know. They cant say anything good about someone else's bike. They derive great pleasure in putting it down, and just generally trying to make people feel like crap. It addresses a mental flaw that can never be satisfied.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.