Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Parlee fan!
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys!

I have a campy 10 speed chain (circa 2002). In an attempt to transfer the chain during a frame transfer, I was able to remove the chain no problem by using a non-campy specific chain tool to remove the pin. Now that everything is on the new frame, I tried installing the chain. Apparently, I broke the link as the pin was was damaged during this process. (STUPID) Anyway, will I be able to salvage my chain by replacing the broken link with the WIPPERMANN CONNEX 10SP STAINLESS LINK? The chain has only 2,000 miles on them.

Thanks!

Joe

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
probably..

Did you remove just any pin? If so, then look for the location of the proper joining pin (HD-L) or the permalink. If it has the old permalink, I'd scrap it. If it's got the newer HD-L pin which has a hole in the end (not as likely) using a connex link may be OK.

To reuse a chain that has a permalink, the heads of the permalink pins can be ground off and a connex link used to replace it. That's the only place it should ever be broken apart.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.