Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Literally broke his damned bike in half.

I don't want to turn this into a CF hate fest -- just want to know, how often does this happen?

Guy I was riding with had a low speed crash into a curb. Snapped his top tube and down tube like dry twigs.

He's a relatively new rider. Got hit by a strong gust of wind coming around a corner. Over reacted just a bit. Locked it up, steared it into a crub.

Not a scratch on him, hardly a scratch on the bike -- except for the broken tubes.

Wheels are true, derailers are fine, calipers are fine, cranks are fine, shifters are fine.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Obviously 'low speed' is a relative term.

I don't know exactly how fast he was going when he hit the curb. Ten(ish)? yeah, about that.

Not fast enough to pop the tire or hurt the rim. So I'd say that's pretty slow.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,994 Posts

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
I wonder if the frame might be a chinese knock-off. Has anyone heard of those frames being counterfeited?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Pinarello has a three year warranty on frames. Kind of skimpy compared to Trek and Specialized.

Also, Pinas are one of the single most copied frames from China. Check out DHGate.com. There's a whole "Chinarello" subculture of people building some very nice ripoffs. Not saying this is the problem with the bike in the original post, but someone did ask about Chinese frames.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup, that looks very similar. The breaks I saw today were at basically the same locations. I was impressed by how smooth they were. No bits of CF threads hanging loose.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
His plan was to take it back to the shop where he bought it and talk to the owner.

He's a novice. He sure didn't expect this to happen. He was looking for feedback from me about my expectations.

I told him that based on the overall condition of the bike, I believed that he had not struck the curb with great force -- so I was shocked that the tubes had broken.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yup, that looks very similar. The breaks I saw today were at basically the same locations. I was impressed by how smooth they were. No bits of CF threads hanging loose.
I'd be curious to see the pictures. It does sound odd that they are clean breaks. Hopefully Pinarello will help this guy out. Technically it was a crash but it sounds like nothing that should have resulted in a broken frame.

I had a Giant TCR Advanced for years that has been through a number of bad crashes without anything more than a scratch. I certainly faired much worse than the bike in those incidents.

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Pinarello has a three year warranty on frames.
Maybe.
If you are the original buyer and register the frame within 10 days of retail purchase date on the www.pinarello.com website you receive
valuable benefits:
– three years of warranty instead of two;
– you will participate for free in the “crash replacement program” for the duration of the warranty;
This program offers you the possibility to buy, from the same dealer of the original purchase, a new
frame at a discounted price, if the original frame is accidentally damaged beyond repair, during the warranty
period.
The warranty only covers manufacturing or material defects. Not crashes. Pretty much standard with all manufacturers. He'd have to prove that it was caused by a defect and not the crash.

·
Cathedral City, CA
910 Posts
Which might suggest that it broke where pieces of mat material come together.

·
Cathedral City, CA
910 Posts
Literally broke his damned bike in half.

I don't want to turn this into a CF hate fest -- just want to know, how often does this happen?
Several years ago my wife had a very serious crash where she hit a car. I guy coming from the other direction made a quick left turn (for him) and wound up right in front of her. She nailed him in the quarter panel. She was riding an aluminum framed Orbea (women's version) with a carbon fork. The impact was enough to completely break all of the welds from the top and down tubes to the head tube. The carbon fork remained intact.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Maybe.

The warranty only covers manufacturing or material defects. Not crashes. Pretty much standard with all manufacturers. He'd have to prove that it was caused by a defect and not the crash.
Not sure if it's a recent change for Pina or not, but my new FP4's warranty includes a crash replacement clause for the duration of the warranty (3 yrs).

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Pinarellos, typically the lightest weight frames are used by professional cyclists on cobblestones and other poor road surfaces all over the world. This guy breaks his frame hitting a curb at low speed, got it.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Pinarellos, typically the lightest weight frames are used by professional cyclists on cobblestones and other poor road surfaces all over the world. This guy breaks his frame hitting a curb at low speed, got it.
Pinarellos are many things but they are far from the lightest frame in the peloton at ANY race.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.