Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other night at a church softball game I broke my ankle. went to the doctor, they put a cast on it and I asked when I would be able to ride again. He told me ATLEAST 8 WEEKS!:mad2: Its been three days and my leg is spasing from being stuck up in the air. Im board out of my mind because my daily rides are gone for 2 months. And it's probably going to end up costing me more money because all I do now is look up new parts and new frames so I keep pricing new builds. and after 2 months im sure ill probably give in.

When he was putting my cast on I tried to get him to somehow put a clip on the bottom of my cast. More of a joke really but he didnt take it very well. I first had to explain clipless pedals to him and why they are necessary so that kinda took the joke out of it right there. all that did was make him lecture me on how I was not to be doing physical activities, especially riding he says.

oh well, get back on in 8 weeks I guess. :thumbsup:

·
Making memories
285 Posts
Deja Vu

I feel your pain as I'm in a similar position with a blown knee from soccer; I too am filling my time with browsing for new parts, frames, wheels, etc... Here's to a speedy recovery for you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I broke my ankle about 10 years ago really bad. Pins plates....the whole nine yards. I was bummed when it initially happened. I ended up finishing a crit 10 weeks after the surgery.

Do yourself a favor and start riding a stationary recumbant bike. It will help get the swelling down and will help keep some fitness. You'll bounce back much quicker...good luck.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I did the same thing about 10 years ago. The instant the cast came off I appeared at the physical therapist's door. I knew him from cycling, and I followed his advice EXACTLY. I worked on PT at home, at work, while driving the car, watching TV, etc. It profoundly sped up my recovery. Oh yeah, in case you didn't'[t know this, PT hurts like a mutha!

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I'm going to venture a guess that you broke it sliding into 2nd base.
Am I correct?

Hope you mend quickly.
Watch out for internet 'boredom' spending. I've been there!

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
8 weeks will go by fast. I was off for 3 months when I broke my hip. I bought some dumbbells and a flat bench and worked on my upper body strength. Try to find something to do and the main thing is try not to gain weight.

·
Registered
838 Posts
wow, 1999 must have been a great year for ankle surgeons. I got my pins, plates and screws in June 1999. No DRIVING for 5 weeks, crutches for 8 1/2 weeks. Crutches gave me the best abs of my life.

The last 3 weeks I was allowed to put some pressure on the leg, increasing each week. At that point I started riding a stationary bike. Your leg is going to scare the crap out of you after 8 weeks.

Will you have a hard cast the whole time? I had 10 days hard, 3 weeks "frankenstein boot" and the rest in a very heavy duty brace. So, all but the first 10 days, i could take my leg out and work on moving the joint. I did not have to see a PT, my Dr. said he could teach me everything I needed to do, and apparently he was right...I don't have any residual problems w/ the ankle.

More advice: spend some time w/ your family/parents/non-riding friends...whoever you don't spend the time with that you should. I look back on that 1st month when I couldn't do ANYTHING, and am pleased w/ the amount of time I got to spend chilling out w/ my Mom.

·
Registered
149 Posts
More advice: spend some time w/ your family/parents/non-riding friends...whoever you don't spend the time with that you should. I look back on that 1st month when I couldn't do ANYTHING, and am pleased w/ the amount of time I got to spend chilling out w/ my Mom.

Very good advice! But be careful with mom's home made cakes and pies. You'll be faced with more than a broken ankle keeping you out of the saddle. :)

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I broke both elbows playing the devil's game softball (fast pitch) in the early 80s. (flipped high and landed on outstretched hands when I collided w/ first baseman crossing first base...- stayed in the game.. stole second and scored on a single to the OF.... was awake all night in pain for which I discovered beer doesn't really help but only makes you dehydrated and hung over). They still bother me, but not really limiting me, on the bike and other things that involve direct pushing or pounding.

Follow doctor's and pt's advice and work HARD and SMART (I repeat: SMART) on the PT. Find a PT that really understands the kind of sports you like, as opposed to just a general PT. Yes, work hard, but it's better to be conservative in terms of stressing the injury. You may be glad a year from now (or 25 years from now!) that you didn't take any short cuts even though you wanted to be riding 2 weeks earlier than recommended.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts