Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Cooper1960
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was riding yesterday I heard the kind of crack that happens when a passing car throws a rock off the road and pings your bike. I didn't actually see a rock come at me so not sure if that's what happened or if my seat stay just fatigued out and gave way.

Regardless the picture shows what I found when I got home. Maybe someone can talk me into believing it's just a paint chip and if I cover it with a bandaid everything will be OK.

This is my beloved C50, out of all the bikes I have owned this has been my favorite. Silver Still life photography Macro photography

·
Registered
361 Posts
Wow, that's a bummer man. I feel your pain especially if it is your most beloved bike and it gives you the most enjoyment while riding. Like vic bastige said give calfee a call. You might want to try Colnago America and see if you can send it back to Colnago to fix it, might take a long time and be very expensive but another avenue to look at. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
bah! nonsense. this will buff right out. have a few beers, polish and head out a ride.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Calfee in La Selva Beach has a brisk business repairing broken carbon frames. They have a great warranty. I went to their store/factory one time to check it out and was very impressed. They had a wall of broken carbon frames of all types to be repaired.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I also strongly recommend Calfee for carbon repair. I had a BMC repaired earlier this year and they did a fantastic job making it like new again.

There are cheaper options. I can't speak to them specifically, but I definitely don't have any regrets after the work they did for me.

·
Cooper1960
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will give Calfee a shot at fixing it, it's too nice a bike just to toss in the trash. Though there's always that thought of a new C60 frame....

Looking at it closely I am inclined to think it was just a weak spot that gave out, a rock would have had to slip between my leg and the water bottle to hit it in that spot, possible but unlikely. The break is right about the middle of the seat stay, just a tad closer to the hub than the top, it's on the non drive side and toward the inside a bit.

Sheet happens....deal and move on is my philosophy.

·
Descender
1,940 Posts
No worries Cooper.

I had damage very similar to that on my Look 585 - also in the same area. Calfee fixed it better than new. I still ride the bike daily - that was 4 years ago.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
If you love the bike definitely get it fixed. You have a history with it that you won't with a new bike.
At least it isn't one of the tubes in the main triangle.

·
Cooper1960
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No worries Cooper.

I had damage very similar to that on my Look 585 - also in the same area. Calfee fixed it better than new. I still ride the bike daily - that was 4 years ago.
Would you share what the repair cost was? Did you have them repaint? I'm just curious what kind of money I'm looking at.

Or if anyone wants to chime in with an "about" figure I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Calfee charged $250 for a 'Level 2' repair. I had an almost exact repair done on my BMC.

If you want the finish restored to original, that gets expensive. Refinishing the top tube and head tube to original color and matte finish was $400. For your bike, this probably isn't necessary (you have naked carbon? If so, it probably isn't even possible).

If you email them that picture, they should be able to get you an estimate. You will also want to send a picture of the complete bike (so they know what kind of finish it is) if you are going to have the finish restored as well.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
From that picture, it looks like the crack goes around the bottom of the picture, which means you have a seat stay failure. Get it fixed.
I previously thought it was your seat tube, not stay.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Another vote for Calfee, last year I had 2 cracks around my BB and 1 crack very similar to yours on the downtube from a rock. They fixed all three and matched the paint and looks awesome even left the serial number intact and you can't beat there 10 year warranty. Cost was $450.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts