Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Luckilly I wasn't standing up or pushing hard or anything. It was after a cross walk with some students from the junior high walking across, so I was just taking off slowly. Anyway, I endded up walking about a mile and a half to the bike shop.... which was closed. Then another half mile to school.

Just thought I'd share the news. I've gotta get a new chain after work today... any suggestions? I had a chain break during a BMX race a few years back, and it was WAY ugly. I don't want anything like to happen again because of cheap parts. This was a stock chain, by the way. I'm not worried about weight. I want a tough chain that isn't going to pull apart.

I think I may get a camera today as well, so if that happens, you all will be lucky enough to see my morning commute ;) MB1, Arby, or anyone else with more knowledge than myself on this matter... what are your thoughts on the Fuji F470? they're on sale for $199 right now at Target, and I had to pry myself from it last night, telling myself that I should ask around first... So, any thoughts or suggestions? thanks!

joe

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I know the feeling.

I had a chain break midway through a long group ride about a year ago. Good thing the wife was home to take my call..... Since then I carry a small multitool with a chain tool and carry a wipperman link as a spare so I can fix a broken chain if it happens again, which it probably won't since I am now prepared.
As to new chains, I use either KMC or Wipperman and have had good luck with both.... they wear out before they break.
Sorry, I don't have any input on cameras, but really enjoy seeing all the ride photos that get posted here.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
What I know about cameras I learned from bikes. It is the rider not the equipment.

JoeDaddio said:
MB1, Arby, or anyone else with more knowledge than myself on this matter... what are your thoughts on the Fuji F470? they're on sale for $199 right now at Target, and I had to pry myself from it last night, telling myself that I should ask around first... So, any thoughts or suggestions? thanks!
joe
Commutenow just posted a nice report with pix from his cell phone-the true camera POS.

Get any half decent camera and learn how to use it, take lots of photos, edit ruthlessly and you will be fine and we will be impressed.

Go for it!

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
When buying electonics I usually consider both the equipment and the company. Personally I like Sony, both because of the equipment and their good tech support and customer service. I can only afford Sony when on sale though.
Right now, stores are clearance pricing their 2005 camera's to make way for the new models. I know because I spent Saturday looking for a new camera and now have a new Sony 7.2mp, 3x optical zoom and optional add on lense capability (for extra $$$ of course) for about $40 more than the Fuji you were looking at (birthday present from hubby)
Good luck and follow MB1's advice; learn how to make it work and use it. I didn't read the manual on my old one and posted two trip logs with blue tinted picts.

·
Registered
74 Posts
MegaPixels are not everything

you will see a lot of cameras out there with with a lot of mage pixels. Unless you are doing a lot of croping, or printing images out on posters. Most digital images are viewed on a computer. If you monitor is at 1280x1024 resolution, that is only a 1.3 mega pixel image. So keep in mind how you are going to view the image when you pick how many mega pixels you need.

Any thing above 3.1 Mp, you will not really need unless your croping your pictures.

If you can play with the camera before you buy it, one thing that digital cameras hate is low light levels. So put the camera in a dark area and look at the image in the view finder, if you can start to see alot of noise in the image it might not be a good camera.

Digital zoom, is junk you can do the same thing by blowing up your picture in the computer. Optical zoom is what you want to look for.

Mega pixels are nice but not really need, digital zoom is junk, and opitcal zoom is sweet.

If anyone else has anything to add or correct feel free.

But you dont need a great camera, I use the one on my cell phone.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
Luckilly I wasn't standing up or pushing hard or anything. It was after a cross walk with some students from the junior high walking across, so I was just taking off slowly. Anyway, I endded up walking about a mile and a half to the bike shop.... which was closed. Then another half mile to school.

I read this earlier today and thought how I'd never seen a broken chain in over 30 years. So, today, I'm about 1 mile from home, waiting at at school crosswalk and when I take off, the chain breaks. I had changed to a new Campy chain about 5 days ago. Being too cheap to buy the campy tool to remove the link, I must have not gotten the pin centered properly.

Anyway, the parallels to our stories are frightenly similiar.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wasfast said:
I read this earlier today and thought how I'd never seen a broken chain in over 30 years. So, today, I'm about 1 mile from home, waiting at at school crosswalk and when I take off, the chain breaks. I had changed to a new Campy chain about 5 days ago. Being too cheap to buy the campy tool to remove the link, I must have not gotten the pin centered properly.

Anyway, the parallels to our stories are frightenly similiar.

That is kind of creepy. I think I'm bad luck for people on this forum. Last time I got pulled over, I jinkex another person on this board and they got pulled over. Now this. Man... i need to stop telling you guys my bad news!

joe

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
SRay said:
Mega pixels are nice but not really need, digital zoom is junk, and optical zoom is sweet.
So I'm not the only one. I have been fighting marketing for 4 years telling them digital zoom is meaningless. If you want digital zoom do it in playback or hold a magnifying glass to the monitor.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
firstrax said:
So I'm not the only one. I have been fighting marketing for 4 years telling them digital zoom is meaningless. If you want digital zoom do it in playback or hold a magnifying glass to the monitor.
No you're not, I told hubby we needed optical after some research. I like the 7.2mp because I crop photos a lot and I will be using the camera for work and will need large photo's for portfolio.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Had a chain snap on me once. I was up out of the saddle powering over a short, steep hill. I shifted (big mistake) and a few strokes later the chain snapped. The pedals went wild and I immediately fell forward, hitting my chest on the handlebar stem. Somehow, though, I kept control of the bike and didn't fall. I was lucky to have what was then called the Topeak Hummer, which is a brilliant, brilliant piece of engineering. Has a chain tool, so I was able to fix on the road and pedal home.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts