Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Man, that sucks. Didn't even go down in a blaze of glory you could drink beers to for the next thirty years. Hope it heals all right for you. I friggin' hate getting hurt in any manner myself. Puts too much on hold for too long.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Sorry to hear it.

bill said:
and it hurts.
that is all.
peace and love. and ibuprofen.
Although this has to be one of the most common cycling injuries it still sucks (it hurts like heck and there is nothing you can do about it).

BTW I broke one of mine in the 70's and it still hurts once in a while.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NNCing. NLing (Non-Lounging).
slow speed. riding on a sidewalk (don't ever ride on a sidewalk) way to the right to miss a telephone pole, along a hedge that obscured a curb. Pedal rode up on the curb at the bottom of the stroke. No control. Crash.
and thank you.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
believe me, I much prefer the story of going down at 35 mph and getting nothing but a little road rash.
that time I had guys to bounce off of.
thanks, dude.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
You need something stronger than ibuprofen

bill said:
and it hurts.
that is all.
peace and love. and ibuprofen.
If both us would not end up in jail (and disbarred, too), I would send you the oxycodone pills that I hoarded after I broke my shoulder in 2003. (Don't get excited, I only have three of them.) As much as I hate the indoor trainer, it really preserved my sanity during the two months that I could not ride outdoors. My thoughts are with you.

Mark

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks, mark. for a pusher, you're okay.
unfortunately I can't take the good stuff and remain upright. I pass out. So, it's NSAID for me. I have a bottle of Vicodin that I'm scared to go near.
Cheap date I am.

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Man, sorry to hear that.

First thing you are going to need is a good story. Whenever one has a splint/cast/bandages everyone is going to ask "how'd that happen?" You will soon get sick of telling the story of the pedal hitting the curb. Nothing personal, but it's just not exciting enough!

Perhaps some of the more creative folk here can make up some good stories for you so you have a bunch of options to pull from.

So let's hear it. How did this happen?

·
Registered
173 Posts
How did you find that footage of me?

Well...almost.

I broke mine a year ago and didn't get the go-ahead to get back in the road until November.

How'd it happen? Riding near the shoulder, out in the country, passing a bush...a cat leapt out of the bush under my front tire. That stopped my front tire immediately. Looked just like your video, but at 25mph. I think I stopped in about 4 feet; flipped like a pancake.

And yes, the cat lived (evil little bugger). And yes, that was my wife's first question when i called her from the hospital. Sheesh.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
I bet lots of us have been there...

something very important right now is propper recovery. 10 years ago they did the butterfly harness. Is that the going brace these days?

Take it easy for a few weeks, keep the shoulders back and let it heal properly. At triathlons, you can always see someone who didn't by the drooping shoulder or that big lump where the bones fused at a horrible angle.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a sling and a fair amount of pain.
I kind of get the idea that either the ligaments hold things in place or they don't.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Been there, done that....

stinks!

Heal quickly.....

Len

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
That's tough luck. Hope you're feeling better real soon.

·
Registered
173 Posts
You're the customer

Make sure you are entirely happy with your orthopedist. He should be happy to give you a referral for a second opinion. You may have a simple, clean fracture that will heal in a few weeks, however, if you have a displaced, comminuted, or otherwise worrisome break, make sure you are getting the best advise. Make sure your doc knows what you need that shoulder to do when you heal. If you are at all concerned, don't just expect that your connective tissue will do the job of keeping you "lined up".

Best luck on the road to recovery and stock up on DVDs for the trainer.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[/QUOTE] displaced, comminuted,
I am both of these. He was hopeful that the break was close enough to the shoulder end of things to have enough ligaments holding things together to avoid surgery. Reevaluate in two weeks. But maybe a second opinion is in order, you might be right.
It's my left shoulder, and I'm right dominant, and I'm not a switch hitter or anything, but maybe you have a point.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Bill

racerx said:
something very important right now is propper recovery. 10 years ago they did the butterfly harness. Is that the going brace these days?

Take it easy for a few weeks, keep the shoulders back and let it heal properly. At triathlons, you can always see someone who didn't by the drooping shoulder or that big lump where the bones fused at a horrible angle.

sorry to hear about your fracture, if you would like any advice, let me know. Was the break lateral or medial?

Racerx-we don't use the "butterfly" harness now, it's typically just a shoulder sling now, although some guys are still using the old stuff.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
"Worse than childbirth," my wife says.

I've never had the pleasure, but my wife broke a collarbone in high school and had to ride a horse for an hour to get back to help. Fifteen years later, in the middle of giving birth, she said, "This isn't as bad as the time I broke my collarbone."

1 - 20 of 28 Posts