Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke my leg right my the knee do you guys think I can still ride? I think I am done.the doctor thinks I will. Now I sit here feeling sorry myself. I can't work I am a welder it is going to cost me thousands bills. cycling is my life now it's gone. I know it may have been worst! I had to tell someone who rides thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
You can ride

Give yourself time (a year, at least) before deciding whether or not to give it up. You will be healing for a long time, even after it feels like the healing is complete.

Your muscles and connective tissues are traumatized and will take time to heal. Not using your leg much during the healing process will lead to atrophy and weakness, and it will take time to build up your strength again.

Look into the story of Floyd Landis' broken hip for insipriation.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BMF136 said:
I'm sorry to hear about that. How bad is the break? I doubt you're done, just give it some time to heal and I'm sure you'll be back in the saddle sooner than you think.
the doc said it's bad break right below the knee 6 week before i can put weigth on it. thanks

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I wouldn't draw any conclusions yet. Plan on riding again, and do your rehab with that goal in mind.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kpcw said:
Ride again? You kidding? You are not a horse who'll be put out to stud. Listen to the Dr., he'll monitor the x-rays. I imagine you are in a cast right now, yes? Are you on two crutches as well? This break will be x-rayed every few weeks, yes? You get out of the cast in 6 or 8 weeks, yes? What type of break/fracture was it, did the Dr. tell you?

I'll bet you a dollar you will be riding in no time at all.
you are right. the type fracture he said but I forgot it's right below the knee. thanks

·
Registered
325 Posts
Get well soon

I'm sure you'll be back riding soon. But don't push it. No need to make it worse before it gets better. Until then, enjoy the spring in another way. Lounge around, get some sympathy from some pretty lady (or if you are a woman, then get some from some dude). Get well.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
You'll get better

Dale said:
I broke my leg right my the knee do you guys think I can still ride? I think I am done.the doctor thinks I will. Now I sit here feeling sorry myself. I can't work I am a welder it is going to cost me thousands bills. cycling is my life now it's gone. I know it may have been worst! I had to tell someone who rides thanks
I've broken several bones, including the ankle, heel, and kneecap. As soon as you're out of the cast, start getting your flexibility back and then get on a bike. It's great rehab for any leg injury. Also, if you can figure out a way to get some light exercise while you're in the cast, do it. The added blood flow is an aid to healing, you don't lose so much fitness, and you'll feel SO much better. I was in a wheel chair for 7 weeks with broken bones in both feet. I climbed up and down the stairs on my hands and knees for 40 minutes every day! Where there's a will, there's a way. Be strong for yourself, and you'll be back on the bike before the end of the summer. :)

40 Posts
get back on that horse, and ride.

Dale said:
At day break in 1973, during a training ride along the beach bike path, I collided with another cyclist; I went down on the concrete; I landed on my right hip with my foot still in the toe clip, pointed backwards. Later, in the UCLA ER, I was told that the x-rays showed that my hip was not broken; it was, in medical terms, it was "shattered"--something about supra capsular something something. Eighteen months later, and four #6 Knolls pins holding me together, I'm back on the bike.
At day break in 1977, during a training ride through Hollywood, I'm the bicyclist in a bicycle vs. car door crash. I go head over tea kettle landing with the tip of the handlebars doing a surgically correct tracheotomy on my #2 throat fold. Back in UCLA ER via
Santa Monica Hospital ER...that's a story for another day.
Ride on; we're still out there. You will be, too.
PS: Did I mention I also ruptured my Achilles tendon in the 1973 crash? And, that my doctor at UCLA Medical Center was Dr. Andrea Cracchiolo III? (Great name for an orthopedic surgeon); I was in UCLA Hospital five days with the shattered hip; I would have been released the second day following surgery except that Dr. Cracchiolo was at a conference in San Francisco and could not sign my release papers.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Listen to the other posters

What you need,...no HAVE to do is stay focused on your recovery and nothing more. Dont start thinking you're "done" because it wont happen. You'll be just fine. In the meantime stay on the forums. Keep yourself involved, thats the best therapy!!

heal up and get back into the saddle.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
I've broken several bones, including the ankle, heel, and kneecap. As soon as you're out of the cast, start getting your flexibility back and then get on a bike. It's great rehab for any leg injury. Also, if you can figure out a way to get some light exercise while you're in the cast, do it. The added blood flow is an aid to healing, you don't lose so much fitness, and you'll feel SO much better. I was in a wheel chair for 7 weeks with broken bones in both feet. I climbed up and down the stairs on my hands and knees for 40 minutes every day! Where there's a will, there's a way. Be strong for yourself, and you'll be back on the bike before the end of the summer. :)
knee pads and bike gloves?

40 Posts
addendum to entry #16

and the dental students cleaned my teeth three times since they needed those procedures completed in their course-work; it cost me $6 to have my teeth cleaned
three times in five days. Of course, with a "shattered hip" and ruptured Achilles tendon,
I couldn't out run them. They held my crutches hostage.
UCLA Hospital Six West Orthopedic Ward, allright!

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
what does your doctor say?

I fractured my right hip back in December and my doctor said it would be 5 or 6 months before I got back on a bike again. I listened carefully to what he said and did months of rehab. I was back to riding within 3 months, but it was not a piece of cake. Your doctor should be able to tell you what to expect. It won't be easy and it will take time.

The hardest thing I found out about being injured is that you are sort of on your own. You have to dig down deep and pull yourself up. I found that after not riding for 3 months my legs were toast, but everything is coming back. My right leg has a titanium rod implanted in my femur and it aches if I really push it. I found I had to learn to drop to a lower gear and learn how to spin.

Also for what it's worth- Marco Pantani almost lost his leg when he was involved in a bad crash in 1996 when he was hit from behind by a car during a race. They did not think he would walk again. let alone ride a bike. Two years he won the Giro and TDF (1998).

Time is the key factor, combined with your mental outlook.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dale, you will be fine. I am also making my way back from injury. I had ACL reconstruction surgery April 28, 2006 and was out on the road for the first time yesterday. For me the keys to dealing with the injury are:

1) Research, research and more research. Make sure that you understand your injury. That way you will be able to understand what your Dr. is telling you better; you will make better decisions; you will know what to expect; and you will understand what is doable and what is not.

2) Ask a lot of questions, period. Start with your OS. I spent a good hour during my first visit asking questions and making sure I understood my options thoroughly. Once I decided on having the surgery, I asked that many more questions about the procedure. Then I posted here and got great advise from a lot of people that have already gone through the same injury. Whenever you think of a question, write it down so you don't forget when you visit with the OS.

3) Make a concious decision to staying strong through whole process. If there is a workout that you can do, do it. Don't sit in the couch and waste away. The stronger you are the easier the recovery.

4) Transfer your passion for riding to the recovery process so that you can ride again. This way your mind will stay busy, you will be focused on a goal and time will fly by. Before you know it you will back on the bike.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.