Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a an older steel Lemond with 600EX that I use in the park (ie crash) and rain etc. The right brake shifter wont catch to shift into the easier/lower gears. I figured its just worn out. Its a 7spd so I can't use any of the new 8, 9, 10 spd stuff. I don't want to change to those as it means new derailers, cassette, hub, etc. Is it serviceable, can I still get a 7 spd somewhere? should i just ride it and suffer on hills? Any ideas?

·
Registered
591 Posts
7 speed shifter

utxjohne said:
I have a an older steel Lemond with 600EX that I use in the park (ie crash) and rain etc. The right brake shifter wont catch to shift into the easier/lower gears. I figured its just worn out. Its a 7spd so I can't use any of the new 8, 9, 10 spd stuff. I don't want to change to those as it means new derailers, cassette, hub, etc. Is it serviceable, can I still get a 7 spd somewhere? should i just ride it and suffer on hills? Any ideas?
Try www.loosescrews.com or ebay.

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,126 Posts
utxjohne said:
You can use a Shimano 8 speed shifter, it will increment the derailler the proper amount. Do not use a D/A 8 speed shifter unless you use the D/A derailleur. The others will work fine, been there, did that.

·
Registered
591 Posts
curlybike said:
You can use a Shimano 8 speed shifter, it will increment the derailler the proper amount. Do not use a D/A 8 speed shifter unless you use the D/A derailleur. The others will work fine, been there, did that.
Cog spacing is .2mm different,but it usually works ok.

·
Registered
777 Posts
utxjohne said:
If this is a 7-speed STI lever, it's not 600EX. 600EX was one of Shimano's first indexed groups, ca. 1986 or so.

Before chucking your STI lever, try blasting it out with WD-40. Our mechanics at the shop have revived many a non-shifting Shimano brifter with this trick. They get dirty, and the grease gets gummy, and the don't work anymore. The lever will move, but no shift.

Hope this helps,
--Shannon

·
Registered
591 Posts
Sti???

tube_ee said:
If this is a 7-speed STI lever, it's not 600EX. 600EX was one of Shimano's first indexed groups, ca. 1986 or so.

Before chucking your STI lever, try blasting it out with WD-40. Our mechanics at the shop have revived many a non-shifting Shimano brifter with this trick. They get dirty, and the grease gets gummy, and the don't work anymore. The lever will move, but no shift.

Hope this helps,
--Shannon
The only old shimano 7 speed sti was RSX. Current sora is available in 7 speed. 600 was never 7 speed sti.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Rusty Coggs said:
The only old shimano 7 speed sti was RSX. Current sora is available in 7 speed. 600 was never 7 speed sti.
Thanks, I didn't know that. So 600 Ultegra went from 7 speed index to 8 speed STI?

--Shannon, trying to get da troof, in
San Diego, CA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts