Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm too strong...or just stupid. I broke off a bolt in my front brake cable assembly and need help getting it out. These are mid-2000's Campy Record brakes. The bottom of the bolt is broken off inside the barrel part still held into the brake arm by the c-clamp.

Part BR-RE210
http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/spares05_B.pdf

I'm thinking of filing a slot with a Dremel (I don't own one) and then screwing out with a flathead screwdriver.

I cannot do this until I find a friend with a dremel and filing wheel I can borrow. Any other ideas that do not involve much money?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,492 Posts
Pull the c-clamp and remove the barrel. With the barrel clamped down, you may get enough traction with a flat head to turn it in or out enough to get pliers on it.

Epoxying an allen wrench on to it may also work, as long as you don't get epoxy on anything else.

A bolt like that should be easy to find.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,638 Posts
Friction

ronniedee said:
I broke off a bolt in my front brake cable assembly and need help getting it out. I'm thinking of filing a slot with a Dremel (I don't own one) and then screwing out with a flathead screwdriver. Any other ideas that do not involve much money?
You could try just bypassing the Dremel tool by using a small screwdriver. The rough surface of the broken bolt might provide enough friction so that you could screw it out. Worth a try.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem solved

Well, the bolt was too smooth on both sides to use a screwdriver on. And the bolt was harder than our drillbits, so we couldn't tap a hole to use our taps (the proper term escapes me at the moment) on.

So, we begrudgingly took the dremel wheel to it, filed a notch, and screwed it out. That was a tough little sucker to get out, but we did it without too much carnage to the rest of the brake cable assembly. The next challenge was to find a replacement bolt that both fit the threads and was the correct length. Two LBS didn't have anything, so we ended up using a both with a phillips head that worked like a charm. Threaded up perfectly.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top