Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently broke the second of the two original Ciussi stainless steel bottle cages on one of my bikes. I prefer the stainless steel over the alloy to avoid the bottle skidmarks characteristic of the alloy cages. Both cages broke JRA (just riding along). The first was on a very rough patch of road in Yellowstone a couple years ago. The recent one broke on a section of road that wasn't remarkably rough. I use the tall 22 oz. water bottles.

Has anyone else had a problem with these, or any other bottle cages breaking? I've been replacing my broken stainless steel Ciussi cages with King stainless steel cages. So far, so good.

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
I had the same problem with the SS Ciussi cages, I think one broke after about a year, the second one I caught just before it broke. Both cracked at one of the welds.

Replaced them with Blackburn Chicane SS cages that have been in use for at least 7-8 years now, no issues.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
Funny. Saw the headline and thought I should recommend my Elite Ciussi Inox (I believe that's the SS ones). I put them on in '98. But I've never used larger bottles than 650 ccm, though.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,419 Posts
I've had them on my Bianchi and Giant for around 10 years.......No breakage....(none of those big sissy bottles)

·
Registered
21,541 Posts
Plastic?

PdxMark said:
I recently broke the second of the two original Ciussi stainless steel bottle cages on one of my bikes. I prefer the stainless steel over the alloy to avoid the bottle skidmarks characteristic of the alloy cages. Both cages broke JRA (just riding along). The first was on a very rough patch of road in Yellowstone a couple years ago. The recent one broke on a section of road that wasn't remarkably rough. I use the tall 22 oz. water bottles.

Has anyone else had a problem with these, or any other bottle cages breaking? I've been replacing my broken stainless steel Ciussi cages with King stainless steel cages. So far, so good.
With metal cages (except Ti) breakage is not uncommon. The worst are obviously aluminum cages. I switched to plastic cages (Profile) 13 seasons ago and after 120,000 miles am still using the same cages, even with " those big sissy bottles"

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
My big bottles can beat up your bottles.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
haven't broken any super thin, super light CF LOOK cages or any cheapo ebay carbon cages. i WILL however brake my specialized ribcage if it doesn't start to loosen up and let go of my bottle easier.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,265 Posts
I've never had an expensive CF cage, but I've had my share of metal and plastic/nylon ones. And they've all broken eventually. I've found that parts wear out (though I'm still waiting for it to happen to my Campy pedals).

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I broke a Performance SS cage. I switched to Blackburn Comp (BC-1). Anodized silver aluminum. Been around forever, guaranteed for life. Bend them once, they keep their shape. Work well with Camelbak bottles. Won't marr your bottles.Cheap. No zoot factor. Good strong cage.What else ya want?

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
I've have the King 48 gram stainless cages on two bikes for 15 years using larger 24oz bottles and not one has ever broke. Then I have several Bontrager Race Light 38 gram composite cages (come in a variety of colors) on other bikes and those haven't broke either, and their a good deal at $13.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
I broke several bottle cages on my commuter bike when I had a NiteRider Blowtorch with the bottle cage battery. But, I never have broken a bottle cage when a regular water bottle has been in it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts