Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.. I was getting ready for an afternoon ride and grabbed my bike( 2000 OCLV 5500 frame) from it's usual perch. As I squeezed both brakes hard as I do before every ride the right lever gave. I looked down in horror as the cable housing separated from the frame. There's still a bunch of the stop left on the frame but not enough to properly hold the housing in place. I could go the easy route and simply have the housing run from the lever to the brakes and hold in all with a couple zip ties. But, is there any way I can replace these stops?

Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
mr meow meow said:
Hey all.. I was getting ready for an afternoon ride and grabbed my bike( 2000 OCLV 5500 frame) from it's usual perch. As I squeezed both brakes hard as I do before every ride the right lever gave. I looked down in horror as the cable housing separated from the frame. There's still a bunch of the stop left on the frame but not enough to properly hold the housing in place. I could go the easy route and simply have the housing run from the lever to the brakes and hold in all with a couple zip ties. But, is there any way I can replace these stops?

Thanks
You say half of the cable stop is still there? Betcha it was caused by corrosion.

Trek would probably fix it under warranty. If you're not the original owner or if they don't warranty it, you could pay them to fix it. It's mainly the downtime and shipping/dismantling costs that are going to suck.

In the meantime, like you said, run full housing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts