Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am in a bit of a pickle on my recently acquired KHS Flite 800 frame. The lower bottle cage bolt on the downtube is broken, I got an EZ out, sprayed the broken bolt with AeroKroil (PB Blaster's bigger brother), tapped the middle of the bolt with the awl, then proceeded to drill into the broken screw, well the drill did not go in perfectly straight but it was still within the screw. When I went to use the extractor tool, I tapped it on with a hammer, but it would not catch. Went back to drilling a bit deeper as the extractor bolt was bottoming out.

After some patience I did eventually get the extractor tool to sit snugly with enough purchase to turn. That's when I realized it was more crooked than I had originally thought. It removed bits of the screw from the side that was thinner and the other side is still stuck. Not only did the bolt not loosen, but the extractor tool bit into the cage boss.

Question now is, what's next? I will be taking the frame to a local bike builder to have S&S couplers retrofitted, he is able to add cage bosses, is it possible to extract the old one and have a new one welded in place?

TL;DR: Broken bottle cage bolt, EZ out is not so EZ, screwed up threads on bottle cage boss.

·
Registered
472 Posts
If u're putting in S&S, that guy should be able to fix anything.
What he said. Stop messing with it now before you do any damage to the frame itself and let the shop deal with it. Normally this is an easy fix by removing the entire rivnut and then installing a new one.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
If u're putting in S&S, that guy should be able to fix anything.
Mhm. Op, you're bringing your bike to a wizard to be magically converted. Let the wizard wave the wand. Put your wand down and step away... very slowly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts