Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, on the very same day that George Hincapie's now infamous fork failed catastrophically at Paris-Roubaix, I tried to access Trek's Web site to see if they had any official comments or reaction.

To my surprise, the Web site was down. Now half a day later, it is still down.

Coincidence, or is this a case of the real power of a broken fork?

Anyone know what is Trek's reaction to this unfortunate fiasco?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oooops!

Sorry bike fans...

I had been looking for "www.trekbike.com" and forgot that there is an "s" in the name. Instead I was getting "The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy". :eek:

I see that the Trek Web site is up, as is the one for Bontrager, makers of the infamous fork. However, I did not see anything about Paris-Roubaix on either Web site.

Anyone heard any reaction from them yet?

[BarryG, it's a neat avatar! I think I've now seen a few of us using it on these forums.]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Trek's official pr announcement:

George Hincapie at Paris-Roubaix

Discovery Channel Pro cyclist George Hincapie crashed twice yesterday in the famed
Paris-Roubaix and was unable to finish. The last crash apparently a result of the first
incident happened when his aluminum steer tube broke at the intersection with the stem.

“George was in a crash earlier in the day, but due to race conditions and his comments
that everything seemed fine, we did not change to his back up bike” said Johan Bruyneel, Sports Manager of the Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team.

At the time of the second crash, George was commenting to team directors that he felt
looseness in his steering; he thought his head-set may have come loose as a result of the earlier crash. Team directors were determining when and how to swap to his replacement bike when George entered another rough section of cobbles and crashed.

“I believe that the first crash set the stage for the big crash”, said Bruyneel. “Section
after section the vibrations just kept coming until the damaged steerer gave loose. We
have been racing and winning on Trek products for the last seven years. We have the
utmost confidence in their products, from design, to testing, to manufacturing. We have
been very impressed.” Bruyneel continued.

“The cobbles do not discriminate”, said Julien De Vriese, a forty year veteran mechanic
and the teams Head Mechanic.

Trek is bringing the fork and the bike back to the United States where they will receive a
thorough evaluation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.