Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an interesting example of things I see from time to time.
A broken CF frame [this one a Moto Immortal].
Can you guess what caused this? What can you tell from the pictures?

I am putting no spin on this; just an open question as to most likely cause in your opinion.

Of course, I know some posters are pro-BD, others are anti-BD, and others are indifferent. That is not the Spirit of the question; and this question could be about any brand, model, etc.; as you probably know.

I know many posters here have seen a lot and studied all things cycling; so I am truly interested in educated guesses based on these photos.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Shipping damage?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Had that exact same thing happen to a Time bike I had shipped. I recovered my cost through shipping insurance. Thank goodness for insurance. I believe my mistake was shipping the bike with the back wheel off the frame.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Dave pointed out a jam, and that leaf in the first pic leads me to believe he could be right if it's not shipping or QC.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
My guess is some type of object got jammed....a tree branch or similar
+1, the green sprig in the first pic was probably attached to a branch that was still attached to the tree which the rider tried to go vertical on.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Is that grass stuck in there?

If this happened while riding then it either hit something softer than metal or the derailleur hangar broke for some reason. I have been riding along next to somebody who's derailleur suddenly snapped off for no apparent reason, which then caused the chain to become wedged between the cassette and frame and locking up the rear wheel. Frame and tire were both toast. It would be useful to see the derailleur up close to see where it is damaged other than the cage being ripped apart.

If this happened while not being ridden, then something put some force on the derailleur without taking out the wheel.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
Cyclocross, or some other form of off-road riding? Looks like possibly some dust in a few of the pictures.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
I don't see any broken spokes...fell of the rack on the back of a car?

what do we win if we guess?

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
I'm wondering is how did the rear derailleur cable get stuck in the chain in one of the photos; was this breakage caused by the derailleur cable getting stuck on the chain then it ripped the dropout off as he was pedaling? I know it sounds silly, but the OP said it was odd!

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
MarshallH1987 said:
Is that grass stuck in there?

If this happened while riding then it either hit something softer than metal or the derailleur hangar broke for some reason. I have been riding along next to somebody who's derailleur suddenly snapped off for no apparent reason, which then caused the chain to become wedged between the cassette and frame and locking up the rear wheel. Frame and tire were both toast. It would be useful to see the derailleur up close to see where it is damaged other than the cage being ripped apart.

If this happened while not being ridden, then something put some force on the derailleur without taking out the wheel.
derailleur hangers don't break 'for no apparent reason' ...there is always a reason when something breaks. always.
as for the photos...i'm gonna guess that somewhere along the line this bike fell over onto the derailleur or was shoved in the back of a car or something fell against it, and the hanger was bent. rider then rode, shifted into the largest (probably) cog, derailleur went into the spokes, and this is how it ended up. there is a mark on the inside of the drive side seat stay that looks like it might be impact from the derailleur coming around while caught in the spokes.
as long as it happened while riding, that's my guess. it's pretty hard to break a hanger while the bike is stationary(in the 'inward' direction), as it's tough to push the derailleur in far enough.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts