Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Carbonormous
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got on the steed for the first time in a loooong while due to a recent bulging disc. Anyhow, I've got about 150miles on my new Record set up get on the bike and ***CRACK*** I can't pedal. I haven't even gone anywhere. Look and see that the rear carbon plate that says "RECORD" on my Record derr is snapped in half.

I bought it from Performance last summer so is it still under warranty? If not, can it be replaced?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I'd call Performance & send it back immediately. Seeing that you just bought it last summer, I'd think it'd be waranteed. Even if you no longer have the receipt, Performance should be able to find the sales transaction on their computer records.

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
Performance should honor it.

Most Campy components, except chains, carry a three year warranty.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Spontaneous failures

Savedsol said:
I just got on the steed for the first time in a loooong while due to a recent bulging disc. Anyhow, I've got about 150miles on my new Record set up get on the bike and ***CRACK*** I can't pedal. I haven't even gone anywhere. Look and see that the rear carbon plate that says "RECORD" on my Record derr is snapped in half.

I bought it from Performance last summer so is it still under warranty? If not, can it be replaced?
If the plate broke with a loud "crack" sound, then it must have been broken with some force. Normally, there is little force on the derailleur parallelogram unless shifting under load, or if the chain got jammed in the derailleur. Unless a failure of some other part of the derailleur caused the chain to get jammed, then some other event precipated the derailleur failure, and it probably won't be warranteed.

You say you hadn't ridden the bike in a while. Could the chain have gotten tangled up while in storage, such as from moving the bike around? When a chain gets tangled up on the derailleur cage, the derailleur can be snapped under pedal pressure - a non-warrantee event.

And no, the parallogram plate can not be replaced as a seperate piece.

Welcome to the world of disposable bike parts.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
If you've ever re-built a campy RD, the spring inside the parallelogram has a whole heap of tension. If something breaks, it would make a noise.

I'd warranty it no problems.

The piece is replaceable, it should have screw heads on the pivots, right?

http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/spares06_A.pdf

But it is not listed as a replacement part.

·
Carbonormous
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm guessing part RD-RE120? Either way, Performance did an exchange for me. As far as it getting messed up in storage... nope. It's hung on my ceiling the whole time and never been brought down. Sure glad I didn't have $270 "disposable part". Guess that's why I didn't go Shimano.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Split pin.

Spunout said:
The piece is replaceable, it should have screw heads on the pivots, right?
What looks like a screw head is actually the end of a split pin that is pressed in to hold the joint together. The pin is not removable or replaceable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts