Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setup: Shimano Ultegra 9 speed triple
Problem: Left Shifter
Shifting towards the small chainring is no problem.
When I try to shift towards the larger chainring, there is a great deal of play in the lever.
Much more than it has ever been, making shifting difficult.
Now the fun part.
What are my options?
Will I be able to find a replacement?
Will 10 speed shifter work?
Friction shifter on downtube. This is the cheapest way out, but
I do not like the way it would looks.
Suggestion and advice will be appeciated.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Look around on eBay, there are usually some single left shifters for sale and you could always buy a set and have a spare right shifter too. Be prepared though, sometimes nice ones sell for more than you would think they should be worth.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
A front shifter will work regardless if its 8, 9 or 10 speed. Only difference is if you are running a double or triple. Need to make sure that matches.

So you can find any type of Shimano front shifter and it will work fine.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
shoot a bunch of wd-40 in the shifter and paddle the crap out of it. see it that does anything.

really.

try it.

and make sure the cable isn't frayed inside the shifter.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cxwrench said:
shoot a bunch of wd-40 in the shifter and paddle the crap out of it. see it that does anything.

really.

try it.

and make sure the cable isn't frayed inside the shifter.
Thanks,
I will try the WD-40.
I replaced the cable, and that did no good.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Flooded the shifter with WD-40. No Luck!
I am sure that something is broken inside.
Had about 12,000 miles on it.
I think that it should have lasted longer.
I started riding when friction was the only shifter option.
Had a Campy Record Group.
Wore like iron. Could not wear it out.
Kind of miss those days.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
you sprayed the wd-40, but did you shift it back and forth a bunch? you may have to do it a ton, but it's pretty rare a shifter actually breaks.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cxwrench said:
you sprayed the wd-40, but did you shift it back and forth a bunch? you may have to do it a ton, but it's pretty rare a shifter actually breaks.
I did move it back and forth numerous times. It is not stuck. It just takes too much play in it. yes I tightened the cable.
As a temporary fix I am thinking of putting a friction shifter on the downtube. I am wondering whether it can handle a triple.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
daniell said:
I did move it back and forth numerous times. It is not stuck. It just takes too much play in it. yes I tightened the cable.
As a temporary fix I am thinking of putting a friction shifter on the downtube. I am wondering whether it can handle a triple.
Friction shifters can handle pretty near anything. It wasn't until things 'progressed' that compatibility issues got way complicated. :eek:

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
chanhoward said:
If the fix fails, try Ebay for a replacement left shifter:
I did a search and there are quite a handful available: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_tr...himano+left+shifter&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Hope this helps,

Howard
Thanks, I see that there are many shifters available.
I cannot understand why different speed shifters should be compatible for the left.
As the speeds increased, the chain narrowed. I think that the chainrings are closer together with higher speed setups. Please explain it to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts