Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the right side, rear, shifter broke. the shifters are from 2010 I think. 15-25k miles on them, dunno don't really track that.
Should I have both replaced? Is there much difference with the sram red vs the force 10? I will pay the LBS to do it.
Thanks

:cryin:

·
Registered
607 Posts
I would replace just the right shifter.

My right shimano 6600 shifter lasted about 45,000 miles before its innards failed. The left (front) shifter sees a lot less action and continues to function fine after 55,000 miles.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,442 Posts
No reason to replace a shifter that isn't broken. As The Moontrane said, the left shifter doesn't see anywhere near as much use as the right. Your left shifter will probably outlive your replacement right.

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
So the right side, rear, shifter broke. the shifters are from 2010 I think. 15-25k miles on them, dunno don't really track that.
Should I have both replaced? Is there much difference with the sram red vs the force 10? I will pay the LBS to do it.
Are you sure it's broken? If it just quit working properly, it may only need a sluice out with WD 40 or some other solvent to wash out the junk and gunk, then a re-lube with oil. Try that before you pronounce the death sentence.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I'd bring it back to the shop as stated, but I'd do so asking them to either fix it or have it replaced under warranty/good will. Sram has a history of broken shifters, they know it, they're really good about it. So good about it they routinely replace shifters outside of their warranty coverage because they know it's a design issue. At least worth a shot, you might be pleasantly surprised at the outcome.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd bring it back to the shop as stated, but I'd do so asking them to either fix it or have it replaced under warranty/good will. Sram has a history of broken shifters, they know it, they're really good about it. So good about it they routinely replace shifters outside of their warranty coverage because they know it's a design issue. At least worth a shot, you might be pleasantly surprised at the outcome.
Thanks all, I will ask at the shop. It is definitely broken.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts