Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago a spoke on my front wheel broke and yesterday a rear ds spoke broke. I tend to break 1 - 2 spokes a year. My wheels are DA hubs laced to Velocity Aeroheads with 32 wheelsmith butted spokes.
I weigh 260 lbs. so I put a lot of stress on the wheels. I can accept the occasional broken spoke. My question is - does a spoke weaken over time and then break or is it a spontaneous event?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,352 Posts
Uprwstsdr said:
A couple of weeks ago a spoke on my front wheel broke and yesterday a rear ds spoke broke. I tend to break 1 - 2 spokes a year. My wheels are DA hubs laced to Velocity Aeroheads with 32 wheelsmith butted spokes.
I weigh 260 lbs. so I put a lot of stress on the wheels. I can accept the occasional broken spoke. My question is - does a spoke weaken over time and then break or is it a spontaneous event?

Spokes break as a result of metal fatigue--as a result of flexing (like any piece of wire). Said flexing of spokes should only occur if their is not enough tension across the wheel for the load it is carrying. The more poorly built the wheel the more often you'll break spokes-regardless of weight.

Breaking 1-2 spokes per year? How long have you had them-have they been doing this? If your wheels are well and evenly tensioned -I'd say go for 36 spoke hoops.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Breaking 1-2 spokes per year? How long have you had them-have they been doing this? If your wheels are well and evenly tensioned -I'd say go for 36 spoke hoops.[/QUOTE]

I think this is my third season on them. I one or two spokes broke last year and the two this year. I am a weekend rider, so there is relatively low mileage on them.

·
A wheelist
11,689 Posts
I agree with 1201. You should have 36 spoke wheels and make sure they are built properly - sufficient tension, equal tension and stress-relieved. Read my wheelbuilding info in my sig as it will give you some insight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.