Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Noob here...

I've had my Motobecane (from bikesdirect) for 1200 miles, and just noticed that the three outer sprockets on the cassette seem to have broken/malformed teeth.

The thing is, I spend no time on the outermost sprocket, so I don't see how I could've broken a tooth on that one.

Is this a design feature to aid in shifting? Or is my cheapo bike breaking after so few miles?

BTW - I haven't noticed any problems shifting. It's just something I noticed visually...

·
In need of sock puppet
9,451 Posts
SRAM Cassette? If so, it's by design.

feh said:
Noob here...

I've had my Motobecane (from bikesdirect) for 1200 miles, and just noticed that the three outer sprockets on the cassette seem to have broken/malformed teeth.

The thing is, I spend no time on the outermost sprocket, so I don't see how I could've broken a tooth on that one.

Is this a design feature to aid in shifting? Or is my cheapo bike breaking after so few miles?

BTW - I haven't noticed any problems shifting. It's just something I noticed visually...

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thinkcooper said:
SRAM Cassette? If so, it's by design.
I don't know the manufacturer of the cassette. It's a Moto Record; do they commonly use SRAM cassettes?

The teeth aren't completely missing, as I saw an image of when searching other threads. It's as though the corner of the tooth is missing.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The teeth on Shimano and Sram cassettes are "profiled" to promote quick and smooth shifting. This is 100% normal and I'm sure that is what you see on your bike

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
feh said:
I don't know the manufacturer of the cassette. It's a Moto Record; do they commonly use SRAM cassettes?

The teeth aren't completely missing, as I saw an image of when searching other threads. It's as though the corner of the tooth is missing.
Take a look at the lockring of the cassette it should give the make and model. That said, as others said, it's probably a normal design feature of the cassette.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.