Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Brooks B17 on my touring setup and a Swift on my Specialized Roubaix. I don't seem to have a problem with the B17, but I'm not sure if I have one with the Swift. I'm getting a numb penis. I think from the Swift. I keep changing out riding between the two bikes. I was wondering if you have heard of anybody that has that problem with the swift. I have about 500 miles on it now and it's pretty comfortable so I hate to get rid of it. I've tried the Specialized Toupe the Fizik Arione, the Terry Liberator and a lot of others in between and this one is the best so far. The Arione was pretty comfortable for a few hours, but that was it. As you can see, I've spent a lot of money on saddles and I'm about ready to give up. I had another one that keeps getting my attention and that one is the San Marco SLR. Anyway any ideas would be appreciated and thanks for taking the time reading this.

Regards George

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Try the B17 on your Roubaix and see if the problem goes away.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
have you tried various adjustments? they do make a cutout one now

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
I'd check the tilt of the Swift. For me, a Brooks saddle works best with just a bit of upward tilt at the nose. When just right, a Brooks saddle feels great for me. If there's too much tilt, it's very uncomfortable. Does the Swift seem to have the same tilt as your B-17?

I'd also switch the saddles between the two bikes to try to isolate body position from saddle. If the Swift hurts on both bikes and the B-17 doesn't, then I think you'd have an answer.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies everybody. On the B17 I found t be just right for me is 4mm nose up. I tried that with the Swift and I could feel it digging in. So I put the Swift level and it worked great. I seem to be riding the Roubaix more now so it could be the Swift. I hope not. I read somewhere that most saddles will work for most people, but you have to find the spot. When I got fitted when I bought the bike they set it at 31" from the BB to the top of the saddle. I felt I could get more power with it up a little farther. So it was about 13mm higher and I just dropped that down. So maybe that will work. I'll take it for a ride tomorrow, and give an update. Again thanks for the replies

·
Registered
171 Posts
13mm change in saddle height on a roadbike is A LOT. If you don't like it the way the shop set it, maybe try 4mm higher for a starter.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
schimanski said:
13mm change in saddle height on a roadbike is A LOT. If you don't like it the way the shop set it, maybe try 4mm higher for a starter.

It's funny you mention that. I was laying awake half the night thinking about that. We get some big winds down here in Katy Texas. I dropped the saddle last night and it felt like I was in a hole. I think I'll raise before I take of today. Thanks for the reply.

I use to have a friend in Chicago with the same name. Is your first name Rich?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried lowering the saddle that little bit and it seemed to help a little. This time I was standing more though. I did have my handlebars 2" below my saddle when all this started and raised them up, but now it seemed to be pushing against my arms to much. I'm going to try lowering them again.

I got off the bike a few times and looked at the saddle some more and I wondered why they would make it domed the way it is. I read a lot of reviews on it and they get a very good rating. So I guess they work for a lot of people.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I would recommend you change one thing at a time. Think about this like a scientist. Document your Roubaix's fit as the store set it. Also document the fit on your touring rig. Try to get as detailed as you can as in not just distance from saddle to bars, measure the same part of the saddle to a plumb-line intersecting the BB, then measure the distance from the same location on the saddle to the bars. That way you're not measuring the differences in geometry of the two frames. Measure the bar height from the front axle to the bars. If both bikes have the same length crank you can use the BB to saddle height measurement. If not, measure from the pedal. When you have everything documented, start by replicating (as close as you can) the position and equipment set-up from your tourer to your Roubaix. Obviously you'll want a more performance-oriented position on the Roubaix, but in light of what your telling us, I suggest that you work toward that from the position that currently works for you.

Good luck,
Bob

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think that did the trick Bob. I knew all my measurement were the same except the setback. I put the saddle all the way back so I could get more power. I just moved it up a cm and it fell pretty good and I still have my KOP, so I think it will work. I only have a bar drop of an inch, but I'll take a long ride tomorrow and see what happens. Thank you very much and thanks to everybody else that lent a hand.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
After being cycling for a decade, I had pudendal nerves and numbness problems 4 years ago, had to stop for a season beacause of it, since then I switched to cutout saddles and that solved my problems.

I currently ride the selle Italia SLC on my road bike and a selle Italia XO with cutout with a suspension seat post on my tourer.

Motivated by all the good advice about the Brooks, I bought a Flyer and put it on my tourer.

Aside the weight, what I noticed instanlty on the first ride, is that it is indeed comfortable on the seat bones, feels good there and the suspension works fine.

But it gave me instantly the dreaded sensations on the perineum I had before.

So, as precaution, I just removed it.

I need a cutout saddle, the Brooks ones, as good as they are, don't work for me.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Salsa_Lover said:
After being cycling for a decade, I had pudendal nerves and numbness problems 4 years ago, had to stop for a season beacause of it, since then I switched to cutout saddles and that solved my problems.

I currently ride the selle Italia SLC on my road bike and a selle Italia XO with cutout with a suspension seat post on my tourer.

Motivated by all the good advice about the Brooks, I bought a Flyer and put it on my tourer.

Aside the weight, what I noticed instanlty on the first ride, is that it is indeed comfortable on the seat bones, feels good there and the suspension works fine.

But it gave me instantly the dreaded sensations on the perineum I had before.

So, as precaution, I just removed it.

I need a cutout saddle, the Brooks ones, as good as they are, don't work for me.

The B17 works OK for me, but the Swift with the rounded top may not. I have a few more things to try and if it doesn't.If it don't I'll probably try the SLC, but I'm really getting to dump the whole think. The money they get for these saddle are really to much , especially for retirees

·
Registered
171 Posts
George M said:
I use to have a friend in Chicago with the same name. Is your first name Rich?
Not me. I'm on another continent. But it sure would help traveling the world if I were Rich instead of plain old poor. :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts