Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Marine Park, Brooklyn and work in the East 30's in the city. I tried to ride to work one day last week. and found that getting from the Brooklyn Bridge to the path along the East River to be a waste of time. I went up Centre Street from the bridge, then took a right on Kenmare and went down the street about 7 or 8 blocks to a footbridge over the FDR. Is there no simple way to come off the bridge by City Hall and get to the bike path?

Just curious how everyone else rides into the city.

Thanks a lot.

Getting to the bridge is easy enough, why can't getting to work be?

· Banned
181 Posts
I dont use the East side bike path, always too much glass and too many interruptions. Maybe its better now, I dont know. I would ride off the bridge and head straight up Lafayette. Are you uncomfortable in traffic? Its understandable, I was a messenger so I'm used to it, but many people don't want to deal with it. 1st Ave is ok too. Stay away from Canal and the bigger Aves and streets. You might also try the Manhattan bridge instead of Bk Bridge, generally far less people walking on it (and wandering all over like on Bk B) and faster and it lets you off more east, you can ride rite up to houston and/or allen and then head up 1st ave or hit the east side path from houston.
good luck.
I really wish they;d post better bike lane signs on the brooklyn bridge!

· Registered
528 Posts
I walked across Manhattan Bridge past Sunday after drooling over high end frames at R&A and noticed that pedestrians now have west path and cyclist have east side of the bridge. Even when bridge had one path I hardly saw pedestrians.

· Registered
10 Posts
2nd that Manhattan bridge suggestion

I frequently ride into Red Hook Bklyn from Manhattan. Living on the west side, the Brooklyn Bridge makes more sense for me, but it is probably the worst part of my commute (despite going through Red Hook!).

Manhattan is MUCH nicer - much less frequented, paved and peds/bikes are separated by the road, rather than a useless line of paint.

Only problem for me was having to negotiate my way back to the west side via Chinatown/Houston/Village--no clean shot.

But if you are staying east, i'd definitely give it a go.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot. I'll try the Manhattan Bridge route. I took it once, by mistake, but there were definitely less people on it.

However, the Mayor may disagree, but it's kind of fun to yell at the tourists on the Brooklyn bridge to stay on their side.

Thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.