Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Not being that happy with the comfort of the stock Bontrager saddle that came on my '06 Trek 2100, I decided to install the honey colored Brooks B-17 that I bought last year for another bike to see how I liked it. I went on a 33 mile training ride yesterday, and the Brooks was certainly more comfortable than the Bontrager, but I am not so sure about how it looks and the color. What do you all think, does the honey color look OK, or should I go with black instead? Also, does the retro style of the Brooks B-17 clash too much with the modern Trek?

Let me know what you think.

Later,

Jay B.

· Banned
6,492 Posts
Seems like a question only you can answer...

Maybe I'm just grumpy today because I had to cancel a killer ride to help my daughter move, and she didn't have anything packed like I TOLD HER TO DO THREE WEEKS AGO and it's 95 degrees outside and I still have four hours of work I'd planned to do before I rode (which, did I mention, I didn't get to do?), but two things occur to me here. No, three:
1. If it's comfortable, why consider anything else?
2. If it looks good to you, why does anyone else's opinion matter? People can't see it when you're on the bike anyway, and when you get off, you can pretend it belongs to somebody else.
3. ... I can't remember what No. 3 was. I'm too grumpy.

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave Hickey said:
It looks normal to me...I like the looks of the honey but if you want black, I have a black B17 with less than 100 miles on it...I'll trade you for honey if you want....
Dave,

Thanks for the trade offer. I think I would like to look into this idea. I have sent you a PM to see what we can work out.

Later,

Jay B.

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jd3 said:
Take Dave up on that deal.
I have. Dave's black B-17 is on its way, and I am sending my honey B-17 out to Dave early next week. I am just going to break it in a little more for him this Saturday when I ride the 60 mile route of the Jordan Valley Bike Tour in Jordan, Minnesota. Here is a link for anyone that is interested.

http://www.jordanvalleybiketour.org/

Later,

Jay B.

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dave's black B-17 has arrived...

Well, Dave's black B-17 has arrived and is now comfortably installed on its new steed, my '06 Trek 2100. Here are a couple of pics.

What do you all think? Does it look better now with the black B-17, or did you think it looked better with the honey one I originally had on it? Go ahead, let me have it! My feelings won't get hurt.

I have to say that I personally like the black one better, or I wouldn't have traded with Dave in the first place. I just think it is more in keeping with the overall color scheme of the bike, and is a little more "stealthy", Which also better reflects my personal style.

Later,

Jay B.

· Registered
171 Posts
I fancied the honey colored one and would have gone for same color Brooks bar tape to match it. The black one looks good also, no probs there.
What I dislike is that fugly saddle bag you got attached to your Brooks. I've got the exact same model saddle bag on my (black) Brooks and it just ruins the looks of my bike.

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
schimanski said:
I fancied the honey colored one and would have gone for same color Brooks bar tape to match it. The black one looks good also, no probs there.
What I dislike is that fugly saddle bag you got attached to your Brooks. I've got the exact same model saddle bag on my (black) Brooks and it just ruins the looks of my bike.
True, but the saddle bag is a necessary evil I suppose. I don't like to ride without a spare tube and CO2 inflator, and I don't really like the idea of carrying them in my jersey pockets. Oh well...

Jay

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
So Dave....how many "spare" Brooks in your inventory now....LOL.......to the OP....as far as Brooks saddle bags go...I am not keen on the way they look......and indeed a bag is a necessary evil

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.